dont forget about the grasshoppers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catfishscotty, Aug 24, 2009.

1. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    this time of year grasshoppers can be deadly on catfish .

yep i siad grasshoppers back in my younger days I use to catch coffee can full of grasshoppers and head to the ponds or lake and creeks

even caught flatheads up on truman with them just fishin from the bank and blues and channel cats went nuts over them ..

granted most where in the 1 to 10 lb range but did catch some 20s to 40 s on them as well .

if the cats are around it will be very fast bites on them ...

In the fall if we had current from truman dam we caught some cat daddys on them in the current ..

and for smaller streams and ponds they are magic !!!

several times they out produced shad when we fished with both ..

so get the kids out of the house and catch ya some hoppers then take the kids fishin for some fun :big_smile::big_smile:

who else has had great success with grasshoppers ????

2. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    when i was a kid we would use grasshoppers in our pond and catch anything swimming !!! it is that time of year!! :wink:

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Grasshoppers, catalpa worms, and leopard frogs.
    All great bait this time of the year. I remember catchin em for my Dad when I was a lil boy.:smile2:
    Johnson grass at night with a flashlight and you should get all you would ever need. Big fat yellow ones.:wink:

4. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    yes grasshoppers are a good bait for catfish! I use to catch a bunch of channels out of a certain pond on them, they work great!:smile2:

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    When I was a kid dad and I used to catch a lot of channels on them in fishing river. We would put a bobber on the line set it about 1 to 2 foot deep and let it drift by a bursh pile in the river and we would just catch a lot of them from 1 to 3 lbs. Boy what great memories you have brought back with this post Scotty. Thanks buddy.

Tom

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    ya i know its memories like that ,, that just kill me dad sold the farm ugggggggggg

an 2 acre garden cows and pigs chickens fruit trees the barn its all gone and it still hurts to think about it :sad2::sad2:

o well atleast they sold it before the economic and realestate crash happend i supose .

glad i brought back some good old time family memories for ya tom :wink::big_smile:

7. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Scottie, I remember in the summer I went to Grandma's house for a couple of weeks and she had a small river about a mile away, so while walking to the river --GRASSHOPPERS-- always catching grasshoppers for bait to put on my limb lines and always caught fish all day--lazy summer days on the river with hoppers:big_smile:

8. benwebber

benwebber New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    ahhh yes grasshoppers... ive caught many channels on grasshoppers in farm ponds but dont seem to catch too many big fish on them. It seems like if i can find a good tree full of catalpa worms i seem to do pretty well. love takin cousins to the farm ponds and catchin grasshoppers and usin them for bait!

9. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Never fished with em' before but it sounds like I need to give it a try. As it happens I have two youngsters full of energy who just LOVE catching bugs...time to put em' to work.

So where do you hook a hopper to keep them a kicking?

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    used my fair share of hoppers to catch bass and bluegill when I was little. The year the cicadas were real thick those things would catch ya bout anything.

11. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    grass hoppers work extremely well at busch wildlife. they have out produced any single bait i have used there. of course i dont spend much time fishing there for catfish anymore, as 1-3 pounders dont give me the right kind of thrill.

12. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Picture it now: last year this time, me down to the local park, with my cane in one hand and my long bait net in the other hobbling along as fast as a fat old man can hobble chasing those darn bugs. I did pretty well with them too. Put them in a coffee can with a tire intertube lid slit down the middle. Hard to find those intertubes now days. I just expected at any time to see the white van with the guys with their own nets and straight jackets showing up. I found, you got to get up real early when the dew is still on to catch them.
    Luck

13. Colinkem

Colinkem New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Grasshoppers are candy for cats. I agree, very good bait!!!!

14. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

down in the warsaw mo boat ramp to lake of the ozark (osage river outlet), grasshoppers were EVERYWHERE, we were bank fishing and my maltese (dog) was chasing them, and they were chasing HIM! :crazy: