Don't eat big catfish!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudkip, Mar 3, 2007.

1. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    There has been much said about the 34" proposal but I would just like to "weigh" in on what I think are good common sense reasons to release big fish. I consider fish over 20 pounds to be big.

Big fish have been in the water many years. What they eat is what you are putting into your body. If you have a taste for mercury, PCBs and other chemicals then eating a trophy may be your best way to get a heaping helping of these nutritious chromosome breaking chemicals. It may not make a difference to you but I really wouldn't feed it to a pregnant woman or kids--just look up the recommendatons issued by the FDA if that seems farfetched. Smaller fish not only taste better but they are more numerous and in most instances --easier to catch. Small fish are less likely to have contamination because they are lower on the food chain. The higher up you go / the higher up the concentration of the nasty stuff.

Why carry home a big catfish just to show off when you can get a nice digital camera at just about any department store and have the memory of a trophy catch without having to carry the dead carcass around and eventually chunk it in the trash for your neighbors to smell. If your friends don't believe you than take them fishing and teach them catch and release. If you think they are not conservation minded, don't take them fishing.

Big fish when properly released will propagate the species and produce many other fish with the genetic potential to get as big and keep the stocks of little ones plentiful.

Big fish take many years to get to trophy size and will not be replaced. overnight. They are willing biters under good conditions and most novice anglers can catch trophies--that is part of the appeal of fishing for catfish. If everyone is taking out the whoppers you will definately see the impact on fish size. I am sure the large fish will come back though...after a couple decades and in fewer numbers.

Do you really think the day will come that there will be too many big cats in the waters? I don't. And if such a day ever came we already have the solution. It is the current way fisheries are being managed today.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would have to agree with you on this but the largest fish I keep is in the 8# and under range.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    The lake I fish has farm fields draining into it. Big cats go back! Acouple years ago a hog farm lost it's retaining pond and the health people said no swiming. So you know the cats got exposed to all the bac.
    Bill

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good post. just say no to eating big cats.

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I agree. Good post Rodger.

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    CPR is the way to go for me. Although I do like to eat the 5-7 pounder range. Great topic!!!

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

thats a personal thing i think. this has been on here way to much over the years. if the cat is leagelly caught who are you to tell others what to do with there cacth?i have eaten them from eight pound way over eighty pounds. and would if i deem it desireable. it is up the the personal to do what they think it best with there fish some will turn it loose and some will not. but that would be there decesion to make and there's alone

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am a CPR type person and proud of it!!!!
    I for one saw nothing in Mudkip's post that told you what you can and/or cannot do with your fish.
    He was simply asking WHY would you want to poison your family and loved ones or, kill an big fish just for show. Personally I really don't care what you do, the fish is yours to do with what you will.
    I always take into consideration the things that effect my sport.
    For One... smaller fish taste better (without all the extra work in cleaning them)
    Two......... I try my best to be a good steward over the resources that are provided to me by the man upstairs
    Three...... these fish have survived the some of the harshest conditions known to man ... they survived being hatched, the fry stage (avioding predators), Gillnets, hoopnets, trotlines, limblines, R/R fishermen, chemical spills and, barge and boat props.
    Now, the next time you catch one of these magnificent creatures, think to yourself "Who am I to kill it?"!!! This is what changed me (Long before the BOC)!!!

I used to think like you do, but have since seen the error of my ways.

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Just Look at all the fun and joy you had catching that big fish. It give you something to talk about and pictures to show as long as you wish. If you take it home to eat you just took that feeling away from the next angler who was lucky and landed it again.

2 to 3 pound fish are better to eat the taste is far better than a fish over 15 lbs or so. Plus there are loads of them in the waters so by you taking home some to eat you will not hurt the catch of other. In the bigger fish every female you take has just taken 20,000 or more fryies from the next hatch and away from your kids to catch in years to come. Don't think by keeping bigger cats like the bluecats, That you can hurt a river alot of the river in VA are just getting back to where you can catch a nice blue and some are still ploor rivers to fish for bigger fish.

10. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Tom, Rodger wasn't telling you what to do with your fish. He was just making a point of how long it takes to make a trophy and how long it has had to get full of all the bad stuff in the water, because we all know that the cats are the clean-up crew of the water. I'll eat a big one every once in a while, but the smaller ones are easyer to handle and clean better, and like every one already knows there are a lot more of them, thats all.

11. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I know when I released the 15 pound channel cat (avatar pic.) a lot of people told me I was crazy! Honestly, the picture was enough, I wanted it to grow bigger, and I just didn't feel like cleaning it. :tounge_out: But I also agree, I always put back the big fish, that is one thing that really makes me aggravated, especially for the bass in the pond in my neighborhood. I have fished there for years and all of a sudden all the big bass have dissappared as people bring their aluminum boats and coolers and fill it with 2-3 pounders! Mind you this is a 3 acre pond and already has an over-abundant bluegill population! I caught a 2 pounder the other week--the biggest since the first of the summer! (sorry for the venting :embarassed: )

12. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Dreadnaught, I'm with you on the CPR. The big ones go back and I keep a few under 10 pounds. I wouldn't render an opinion on what anyone should do with "their fish". I'm just saying that personally, CPR works for me!

13. ezclip

ezclip New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I would not even think of telling someone what he or she should do with the fish they have caught. But I will tell you what I do. I'm pretty much of a meat eater and not that big of a trophy person. I run a lot of trotlines and am looking for the 2 to 5 pound ones. If I get too big of a one I'll let it go. Also do a lot of spearfishing with scuba equipment and speargun. Again when I see a big one I'll pass it up and spear the 2 to 5 pounders. Maybe I'm crazy.

14. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

maybe i did read to much into it. but it has been a big thing on here for many years where people just dump on thers for eating a fish that they think is to big. i let most of mine go anyways. but the point is that thats my choice. if i made ya'll mad i am sorry. but some people d keep them and thats ok too

15. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Here is a little article about the White Sturgeon in Columbia River Basin and how they were saved from extinction by putting a 6 FT. size limit on them back in the 1940s.

I sure hope that many more people get the thrill of a big peeler running down the river and watching a 6 to 9 ft plus fish leaping out of the water.

But I say each has his own way. http://biology.usgs.gov/s+t/noframe/e065.htm

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Judging from the syntax and spelling I would stop eating the big ones NOW!!

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    We are not trying to tell folks what to do with their catches, we are mearly trying to educate them on the subject at hand.
    I have spoken to many folks around here on this subject and most folks never really thought of it like we do. Alot of these folks have since changed their old habits. Of course there are a few that don't but that is ok too.
    But if we say nothing at all, nothing will ever change. CPR has come a long way in the last few years thanks to places like the BOC, good Tounament Trails and, other mediums. The best way to get the word out is by "word of mouth".

18. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

like i said i get it. i turn loose a lot of them myself. but fish do get eaten.

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well thats just plain rude

20. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Since I am a religious person I firmly believe the"Man Upstairs" isn't gonna let anyone deplete our water sources of any big fish. Now to each person his own,but I gotta say,my own expeirence. I have never caught what I will term the"Beast" I pray my day comes. My late brother-in-law went up to Canada on the Red River with his Dad and Brother and fished for Catfish. I guess back then the rules were different cause their guide allowed them to being their catch home. They brought home some huge cars cause He has sever gallen size freezer bags full of catfish. Short and sweet, I have no idea whether they were blues Channels or Flatts but I do know I did not at all care for the taste. I have made up my mind should the day come that I catch a big one it will be CPR'd,unless unfortuantly during the catching part it's heart gives out and dies,then I don't know what I'do besides feel bad. I don't want all that River junk in my body and I don't want it in my girls' bodies so yes I fully plan on keeping the smaller ones the big ones will go back!JMHO!:smile2: