Donating Deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Oct 17, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I am just wondering how many of us donate deer to food programs? I as a rule try and donate at least one.

2. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Who do you donate your too? A few years ago we used to donate it to our church and they would distribute it on Thanksgiving Day, but since I moved I haven't found anyone who will take the deer. I always thought it was a great idea.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i dont usually donate to organizations anymore. i do however donate a lot of deer and hawg meat to friends, family, the guys i work with, nieghbors, pretty much everybody i know who either wants some or needs some. i always make sure ive got enough for my house first though.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A neighbor of mine in Big Island started "Hunters for the Hungry" here. I usually donate 2-4 a year. Their biggest problem is getting cash donations to pay for the processing. My band also does fund raiser benefits for them and the local food banks.

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    We have a local processing plant that will process and donate to the needy on certain days. You carry in the deer, they cut out the backstrap and give it to you and they do the rest. They do that w/ hogs also.

6. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I was all fired up last year to donate about 30 does my neighbor wanted out of his hay field..(1000 pounds of grass per year per deer..hmm..) till I found out it cost $40.00 per deer to donate them...:sad2:

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    if you guys want to donate deer, (even though i shoot at least 10 a year) all you have to do is p.m. me, and i'll give you an address where to drop it off. i grind 80% of the deer i kill, and make sausage, pepperoni, jerky, etc, etc, i'll distribute it to my friends, family, the needy as seemed fit..
    :smile2:

8. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When I was in the army we would donate deer to the post chaplain, at ft bragg. I am now living in TN and like the post above said it cost $40 a deer to donate at the processor. They have came up with a list of people that will take deer, though I have not looked at it. I do not mind donating deer to feed a family that is in need.

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I .did last year,ill try again this season

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yes we do, usually 4-5 a season here, the "hunters for the Hungry" program has seemed to work very well here and so far it has gotten better on the cost, state even kicks in to cover up to so many per season. We had a chat with DNR a few years ago at the club and they were asking how it could be made better, well thats easy give out so many doe tags to hunters just for that purpose, and do not charge for that processing fee, well it must have went over like a lead balloon because we have heard no more on it, must have been a bad idea huh?...lol Made sense to us, put food into the food banks and keep the doe heard numbers in check, guess it got shot down because some dumb hunter thought it up instead of a suit at the capitol...

11. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    How many deer do you get up there,With all the combined seasons including special hunts we only get 7 deer in Oklahoma.Thats if you hunted in every kind of season and tagged out-possable but not likely for most of us.