Don & Sparky hit the Grand River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by bwanatony, Jun 5, 2007.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Well,
    Don & Sparky booked a waterfront campsite on the Grand right by my home stretch of river, so I decided to spend the evening yesterday showing them a few good spots and telling them what to watch out for.
    I led them up and down about 3 or 4 miles of river, stopping at several holes & snags to try our luck- but luck was not on our side and the weather went bad.
    We decided to bag it at about 10:30 last night, and headed for the ramp. Only one problem, I ran out of gas with a mile to go, and had to endure ruthless jeering and maniacal laughter all the way back as they towed me in. I get the last laugh, though because I got to tell the story first, and I also got to take a hot shower and sleep in a real bed last night. HA!
    I hope the high water doesn't wreck their trip, and that last night wasn't an indicator of things to come.
    Good luck guys, and thanks again for the tow, and the humble pie.
    Tony

2. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Glad to hear somebody is out chasing cats. Hopefully they will do some good. I am sure they appreciate your hospitality as well, I know I do whenever we have crossed paths.

3. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I told Sparky that as far as flathead fishing goes, he was coming to a great place at a perfect time. Figures a cold front would move in and slow the fishing down. I've still got faith that Sparky will pull his first flathead from the Grand. I spoke to him this evening and it sounds like he was very close, but I'll let him tell that story when he gets back home. Hopefully things work out for the boys and they get into some big fish. Wednesday should be a pretty nice day.

I had a pretty slow night myself. Manged to scrounge 7 small channel cats and 2 flatheads in 6 hours of fishing. The biggest flathead was around 13-15 lbs or so, we did'nt weigh it. It took a live bluegill at about 10:45pm. The other smaller flathead took a cut chub as did all the channel cats we caught. All but one of the channel cats were very dark colored males that looked very skiny. The heads looked too large for their body. Not at all the fat pre spawn fish I've been seeing for 2 months. I believe these were males that have been guarding eggs for some time and not feeding.

Dan

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Dan-
    Yes, today should be better with the warmer weather moving in, but the water level shot up a foot and a half in the first 24 hours they were here. I advised them to look for current breaks, and showed them a creek mouth, a gravel bar, and several log jams that all created slack areas.
    Water was 73 degrees Monday.
    Did you find your flatheads deeper than you maybe expected?
    Tony

5. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Geez Tony, run oughta gas, sounds like something I'd do.

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Well, you know, when you try to help somebody out by showing them places to fish... I guess I was thinking of others more than thinking of myself...

Word has it that our two intrepid anglers have headed west toward the Lower Grand. Maybe they'll have a better guide there and, until the weather goes bad again, a better shot at some flats. I'm sure we'll get a report eventually.

7. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Tony, I'm finding flatheads everywhere right now. Some smaller ones are feeding in the same logjams where I was pulling alot of channels. Getting fish up to 23lbs on cutbait some of them in the early morning hours. Bigger fish have all taken livebait in the late hours 10:00pm - 3:00 am with the exception of the small fish last night that took a live gill.

Dan

8. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    HAY TONY GOT GAS!! No Tony we headed east! Now ya see tony i being nice guy i am was not going to tell about the shame and pain a man must fell when he runs him self out of gas in the middle of river in the rain with the wind blowing!:embarrassed_2::shame:

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Well, at least you guys let a man retain some of his dignity... thnaks again for saving me the long paddle back to the ramp against a 20 mph wind.
    I hope you guys had a good time, even though the weather and the fish didn't exactly cooperate. I have a feeling that you would have had a lot more action if not for the plummeting temperature and rising water, not to mention the rain & wind.
    How about another try in August?
    Maybe out to the Eastmanville/Grand Haven area?

10. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, we both got home safe and sound. We have some good memories, but needless to say, not of catching the monster flathead. It sure wasn't from the lack of trying. As a matter of fact, both Don and myself are suffering from a major case of boat Butt!! ( Don refers to as something else, but this is my story).
    We arrived at the camp site Monday morning, (driving through rain on our way over). We got things all set up, cut a little wood, (in this poison Ivy infested camp ground) I mean poison Ivy with vines crawling up the trees in a giant canopy that covered the woods. We looked the camp ground over and caught a little bait for our first night on the river. We were lucky that we could beach the boat right by the camp site, so we didn't have to use the launch each time we wanted to go out. By 2:30pm we were kicking back, there was a little breeze, but no rain. Life was great!
    We were lucky to have Tony come out and meet us under the bridge at 6:30pm. He showed us alot of his favorite fishing holes, (God bless his soul). But, the wind came up, the rain came down, and the cold set in. No fish to be had.
    The next day, the river was up about a foot and a half, which hindered our fish a bit. It didn't rain, so we were happy as a couple of Wood Peckers in a lumber yard. That night the wind wasn't blowing so we knew tonight was the night. We started out at the last place Tony showed us and started to work our way down to one of Tony's secret holes, that he instructed us to there just before sunset. ( By the way Tony, that last spot you showed us, with the rising river, was 16ft deep.)
    Anyway, we fished the slack water, the creek mouth, the gravel bars, every place Tony showed us, but no fish. Come about 8:00pm or so, we were setup on Tony's Flathead snag with live and cut bait waiting for the big run to come. At 10:00pm I got my first bite, and did everything every body has taught me. I had a fish on! I was excited! Hell, Don was excited. He had the net in his hand. Then in the bitter cold darkness of the night, the silence was broken with me saying ( well it's not important to know exactly what I said) I guess it was something like, "Gee Whiz Don, the fish is gone". At this point, I was a real happy camper. But, as all fisherman and women know, That's why we call it fishing. We stayed there til our butts were so cold and sore, not to mention our backs. Well we decided we had had enough fun for one night and got back to our camp about mid- night.
    Well, needless to say, with the rain, rising water and the cold, the next morning we had breakfast and decided to head home.
    There was no fish to caught, but we had a good time.

Now, I know Tony is waiting for me to do a little hooting on him about this gas deal! Let me tell you, if you think for one minute that I am going to say to the whole world of the BOC, That there was this stupid Jackass in the middle of the Grand River last monday night at 10:30pm in the cold blowing rain who ran his boat out of gas and needed a couple of eastside boys to give him a tow back to the boat launch. Well you're dead wrong! I mean this guy left his family for the evening in the cold rain to show a coulpe of out of towners how, where and when to fish. Not to mention, shared some of his favorite fishing spot with. If you think I would ever say anything like, " I can't believe that a man who calls himself a fisherman, on his own water, in his own boat runs out of gas a mile from his launch should be banned from the fishing community or at least fined a few dollars." WELL, I JUST WOULD'NT SAY IT...............
    Tony, you're number one in my book. Thanks for showing us the ropes. We didn't catch any fish, but that was certainly not your fault. Thanks again.
    Flatheadless Sparky

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Gee Sparky, thanks for letting me off easy!

I stopped in the campground Wednesday on my way home from work and learned you had left, but the host said you were maybe going west toward the lower Grand, but I guess he was wrong.
    Contrary to what you may think, it isn't always cold, windy, & rainy here in the first week of June. I hope "the third times the charm", and that means next time you score some BIG ones.