Doinkin' Bridge Pilings

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by Fishmaster1203, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    This is a deadly technique to catch both largemouth and spotted bass. It will work spring through fall, but is best in the summer when it gets hot.

Use a lightweight spinning outfit with 6# to 8# line. Rig a finesse worm texas style on a 1/0 to 2/0 hook and pinch a small split shot on your line about 12 inches up from the worm.

Now you're ready to doink. Position your boat 10 to 15 feet away from a likely looking bridge piling on the down wind or down current side. Flip your worm into the back sides of the pilings and let it sink slowly on a slack line. The perfect doink is when your worm sticks to the concrete for just a second, then lightly drops into the water. The bass will hit it when it's falling. You usually will not feel the hit. The best way to detect the strike is to watch your line feeding down as it free falls. If it stops, set the hook quick. Most strikes occur within the first 10 to 12 feet.

This technique works best in the middle of the day when it's sunny and hot and the bass are seeking shade.

I've caught largemouth up to 10 pounds doinkin' pilings.

2. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    cool tip, ill have to try it come spring time

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish much the same way sometimes, with the exception of a small gig-head and a small worm. I agree that the closer you can get to the piling the better you are. 99.9% of the bite occurs on the fall. Guess thats why i miss so many.:confused2:

4. JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That sounds like a great technique, I've got a perfect place for it.