Doing Your Part

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by orion_xxvx, Apr 19, 2008.

1. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    How often have you seen trash and used fishing line around where you intend to fish? How hard would it be to take a trash bag along with you and everytime you go pick up some trash ? If everyone did this it would be a much better place for wildlife. And I bet you would feel like you have contributed something worthwile.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I do that. However. Puttin your foot in the a%$ of folks when ya see em doin it and sayin somethin is much more rewarding. And don't give me the sermon about takein the time to educate them as to the ills of thier ways. They are buttholes and ya ain't gonna change that.:angry:

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    In the halls at school and on the courtyard where the kids are at lunch time, I always going around picking up junk and I tell the kids there "Hey, help me and let's clean this place up, I know I'm not the only one that can bend at the waist out here".

If they dare to tell me "Its not mine???" I say okay it's not mine either and you don't wanna help me??? You may need me some day hon!"

I get a lot of help to say the least. and I would do that anywhere I went...Lake, uptown, camping area, school...whereever.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    thats is how they live at home is just throw it on the ground, and a lot of that comes from there mother's always picking up after them:sad2:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is something I practice quite regularly, but I am not perfect. I keep bags in my truck and when I bank fish I try to take a full bag with me. Thanks for suggesting this to other members.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I always clean up where I'm at and so do my kids. It just pisses me off because every time I come back the mess is there again,,,and yea , I just clean it up again. I never see anyone do it, its just there. Then again people just prolly wont do it in front of me. I agree George..you aint gonna change people like that. I do feel good cleaning it up, even when I doesn't ever go away.

About 3 weeks ago I helplessly watched a blue herring that had line around its feet and somewhere around its wings. I couldn't do a thing other than turn my head. Our trolling motors couldn't get near him. He prolly ended up drowning a while later. I am nature loving guy and it really struck a nerve.

Thanks to people that do MORE than their share out there, may the catfish gods bless you for you efforts ; )

-Jim-

7. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    There is 1 thing that I have instilled in my kids and that is take care of your environment.They pick up all fishing line and trash they come across.They even go as far as to jump onto me when I accidently flip a cigarette butt into the water.

If I could get them to pick up after theirselves here at home I would be thrilled.

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the info every time I go fishing I always try to take a trash bag with me and put the trash thats left in the bags and take them with me, or some of the lakes I fish has trash cans so I will put the trash inside of the trash cans.

9. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I live on the river and theres access for the public as well, so I clean that section fairly often. I once made the mistake of putting a garbage can down there.....they cut the rope where I had tied it off to a tree and threw it in the water.

Just no countin for the @#$%&^

10. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    We have always taken a bag and picked up trash no matter where we fish at.
    The jerks that make me mad are the ones who throw beer & pop cans all over.
    I don't understand how they can carry them in full but can't carry them out empty

11. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    We always clean up after ourselves but there are a couple of guys who fish with chicken livers and I noticed the containers everywhere last night, it looks like hell,so the next time I see them I`m going t tell them about it.

12. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I fish out of a boat, i am alway picking up stuff floating in the water. One time i had a friend out and was going full tilt saw a bag floating on the water with a few empty bottles in it, i made a quick 180 and picked it up.

13. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    It doesnt require that much effort ..............I picked up all the fishing line that I could find one day that fish werent biting for me ....and found quite a few bobbers that were usable also ( a little added bonus! ) Thanks for your positive responses!

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've been doing that for years. Hurts to see some that enjoy the great things we have .have so little respect for our outdoors.