doing something wrong???

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by tholloway, Dec 22, 2008.

1. tholloway

tholloway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I mostly hunt public land, bcause leases are just too dang expensive. I went out a couple times last year, and a couple of times this year, still coming home empty handed. What I would like to know is, why? I hunt mainly the N. central Texas region on forestry service land. I am doing everything I can to bag a buck. I seem to jump does' more often than not. The place has deer, many hunters are banging away all day. I mainly still/ stalk hunt, i can trail a deer all day, just can not seem to bag one to take home. Anyone out there with the same predicament????

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have never hunted a public hunting area . But if I was going to I think I would try sitting in a blind and letting the other hunters move deer by me . First of all be sure you scout the area real well and the usual home work finding buck signs, scrapes, rubs and such. Then figure out a good blind sight. The best blinds i find are trees that are blown down or boulders in some cases that are close together.
    I have never seen Texas so I"m blind as to terrain and the surroundings so a good blind there may be tumble weed and rose briers. Use what is available in the area for a blind .Hope this helps.

3. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    i agree with ken if there are a lot of guys hunting it try to find out what way the deer tend to run to and put up your blind and wait for them to come your way. can you guys in texas do large pushing parties. get a bunch of guys on a road and then take another bunch to push through the woods pushing the deer towards the guys on the road. makes for a good day of hunting

4. tholloway

tholloway New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for the quick replies. As for the terrain where I hunt is mostly wooded areas, thick, dense brush, and a whole lot of trees. I guess I could carry a tree stand in and set up. I would think sitting behind a felled tree or under one with my back to it, would be somewhat of the same thing. I wait to hunt the scrapes and bedding areas closer to the end of our gun season. I am always looking for good, sound advice, so I appreciate ya'lls time. I use scent block stuff, calls, anything I can think of, just, that nothing has been working for me for the last couple of years.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Tree stands are a real good idea if you have a lot of low brush it will get you up where you can see more territory,scrapes and rubs and look right down into their bedroom.

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you are on public land pattern the hunters as well : where they , park how far from the road they are willing to walk . Use the off season to scout . find a few good spots and sit still . the other hunters will push them to the thickest stuff the deer can find . On public land limit the calling and see what happens . If it is the rut and you are seeing does you are in the right place .

7. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    The others on here have all given you great advice. I have hunted deer for almost 50 years and as I got older my knees went bad and I had to sit more. Guess what. I shot a lot more bucks. Find your self a good area with good sign and sit on it. I think you will do better.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I figure there are a good number of guys that will become better deer hunters as they get older like yourself. I have the same problem with the knees atheritis has made them not work so well. Sitting still has proved to be a more productive method of hunting for deer.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Your area sounds like the place I used to hunt. Personally, I would go in there early in the season. Once people start shooting it up, the deer become very leary of every sight and scent. They'll usually start coming out at night to avoid the hunters. This is also why a lot of people here kill big bucks during bow season. They get into the woods before the deer have heard guns going off constantly, and the bucks are more relaxed (makes them more prone to making mistakes).

I would think stalking deer in a woods just drives them to the other hunters. Its hard to walk thru a woods stepping on leaves and brush and not make enough noise to be hard.