Doing it all night long

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by anchorpuller, Jul 20, 2007.

1. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I am certainly no expert, but thought I would share how I enjoy crappie fishing.

During the heat of the Summer, when the lake lice are thick and the sun is unmerciful, I find comfort and peace after the sun goes down.
    I, personally, use a 16' jon. The vessel doesn't matter though, as long as it can handle the water you are on.

Finding a place to set up is something that requires a little thought and a little luck. I think drop offs and structure are prime in my choice. Many times, for convenience, I'll set up under a bridge. Other times, the edge of a creek channel. A good topo map is a great help in choosing your spot. I put a lot of thought into where I set up, because I very rarely move once I'm set.
    I'll also look for water at least 20' deep most times.

Once I've found the spot I want to set up, I'll drop two anchors; one in front and one in back. Put the bow of the boat into the wind, so you wont' have the waves beating over the transom if the wind starts kicking. Many use the bell anchors, I don't. I use a grabbing anchor, I think mine are called fluke anchors. I'll drop the anchor well off from my spot, then go past my spot and drop the other. Once I've got a "set" on my anchors, I can pull myself between them to my spot and tie off. Once in a while, I'll have to do this twice to get a good set on my anchors. Don't skimp here. It's worth it to get it good before you get started fishing. If you are tightlining, it is imperative to be able to detect the bite by watching the end of your rods. If you are swaying, you can't do this. Of course, fishing under a bridge is a different story. Here, you can just tie off to the bridge.

Lighting is variable. I've used lanterns hung over the side of the boat that worked well. I've used submersibles and floaters. I've used the reflector lights that clip on the boat and angled them down to shine on the water. There is some debate on color as well. White vs Green. I don't know... never used the greenies. I like the white ones. The lights attract the plankton which attracts the baitfish/minnows which brings in the crappie. Some nights the baitfish around the lights will be so thick you'd think you could walk over them. Some nights, I can't see nothing there. Don't worry if you don't see them. Many times they are deeper than you can see.

Inside the boat, I run one light up high so I can be seen by other vessels that might miss the lights in the water around my boat. Down in the boat I use a little rechargable lantern. It has settings that go from both bulbs down to a little bitty nightlight. Most of the time, I use the little nightlight. I'll also wear a led headlight for retying my rigs or where I need to see just a little better.

My rigs are very basic. A long shank #1 hook (usually) and a splitshot a couple inches above that. My poles are sensitive enough to detect the bite at the end of the pole. Most times, I'll be using 6# high vis line.
    Bait for me at night is exclusively minnows. I hook em in one eye and out the other, although this is just a matter of preference. That's the easiest way for me.

Okay. Boat anchored. Lights out. Lines baited and in the water. Sit back, if you get a minute to do so...watch out. Fish on!

Here are a couple shots of successful night fishing that most times I've shared with my children.

Attached Files:

2. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    WOW those are some very nice pictures I would love to leave you some more Reputation comments but say's I need to pass it around abit before I can...So I will be back and drop you some more...I just loved the artical you have shared with us here...

3. CATFISH1998

CATFISH1998 New Member

State:
    Westerville,Ohio
    Vary nice looks like a good time.

4. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    Laura, that's great story, and thanks for sharing the pictures!!!

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Nice looking fish! And great write up.
    Thank you
    Bill

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Nice catch & good write up. I don't fish for them much because we can't use them for bait here and I don't eat them. However I'm sure your tips on the set up will be vary helpful to some that fish for them.

7. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    great right up.thanks for sharing.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Laura thanks for the great fishing story. I especially liked your detail on anchoring/setup. I totally agree. Good preperation pays off dividens. Good pics also.:smile2:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice fish.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Excellent info and pictures, thanks!

11. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Some nice fish and some great info.will try that soon.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Ya got some good lookin fishin partners there!! Nice catch on the fish.

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just a quick question or two if i might. Are you using a finder? Those lights are they the submercible ones? Thanks !!

14. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro

Hey Will,

Yes and Yes.

I use a very basic fish finder to search out the depths and get a clue as to water temp. I don't watch for fish. I do watch the bottom contours though, to find the edges of a drop off/creek channel or brush.
    I've used most all of the lights and I really like the qbeams the best. They are submersible and quiet running off the battery. Right now, however, I'm running a small generator and using the aluminum hooded lights clipped onto the side of the boat pointing into the water. They all work, even the lanterns.