Doing any good on the Ohio?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Aug 16, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Hows the fishing on the mighty Ohio? Maybe heading out tomorrow evening havent been in about a week or so.

Thanks
    Bill

2. Big-Blue

Big-Blue New Member

State:
    Louisville,KY
    I havent been there this year yet but my brother fished the ohio the last 2 weekends and caught around 8-10 cats each night. They were only around 8-18 lbs cats but he lost a few that were much bigger. He was using cut up shad and gills and said he caught most of them on the gills.
    He had no luck with live bait, and said that he got just as many bites using the head or tail portions of the bait.
    I hope this is helpful, good luck. :wink:

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    whats up bill going out tonight or i hope have not been out in about 3 weeks the bait is slow for now around here let you know how it goes in thee moring

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck on the river boys. I hope you catch some good ones

5. CatMaster3

CatMaster3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hope you all have good luck.. Last 4 trips ive been i havent caught one fish. But i reckon ill try her again next week :big_smile:

6. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Thats the funny thing about fishing, we can be out there 9 out of 10 times and not catch anything but inside your head you're thinking "just one more time and I get into a mess of 'em!" You know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results!:smile2:

I will post up my results next trip...and yes I am expecting different results.

7. rivertoon

rivertoon New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fished the river on both Friday and Saturday and caught fish on both outings. Friday I anchored and caught 8-9 small cats. Sat. I drifted and the numbers were about the same but the size went up. Nothing huge all were in the 5-15 lb range. Used shinners and cut shad on both tripps. Drifted holes between 35-50 ft deep. All fish were blue cats while drifting.

8. adam2

adam2 New Member

State:
    ky
    went out saturday night caught two small fish on a friends boat. The last two trip on the bank were unproductive also.

9. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Wife and I spent the weekend fishing up by Fort Knox. Caught 11 on Saturday between 1pm and 6pm most in the 10 to 12lb range. She did catch one close to 20 on her new Pink Rod from Catfish Safari. We caught one anchored, the rest drifting cut shad. I found fish in 28 t0 35 foot of water on rock ledges. Had a ball they were all blues while drifting.

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Went out this morning in Northern KY and caught only one flathead...however it was a personal best 21 LBER!!! I didnt think my rod could handle that size of fish, of course it hit on the weakest rod..go figure. Overall the fish was very healthy but it did have a little red on the tail near the fin. It was caught on live shad in about 32 ft of water while anchored. The rest of the day was pretty slow.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats on your new PB.

12. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    fishin has been and still is pretty good!

13. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Forgot to mention that when I was trying to castnet bait, I think I ran into a bunch of baby skipjacks? Never seen this before but there were tons of little minnows about 2-3" long that looked like mini-skipjacks. Does that mean big skips are in the area? Are these little guys good bait? Just checkin with the pros.

Bill