doin a little bait change!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by 6pointer0075, Aug 27, 2009.

1. 6pointer0075

6pointer0075 New Member

State:
    tn
    been goin out and using cut shad, bluegill, and skip jack. i guess you could say that the fishing was ok for a while but its seemed to slow up atleast for us here lately??? we went to cairo in gallatin last friday night and it was the slowest 7 hours of fishing i have ever done. we even set out 3 trot lines. nothing even seemed to nibble on the bait!!!:angry: i mean we have cought some pretty good size cats out there but its seemed to slow up. anyone got any different ideas on the bait. might try some dip bait or something of that sort this weekend. any help would be awesome!!!!

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dead 4" creek chubs have absolutely killed him down here.. Best to take your castnet if you have one and find a deep hole to seine em. :wink:

3. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    try secret 7 it bruoght the fish back for me:wink:

4. festus

festus New Member

AJ gave you a good tip, Adam, about the creek chubs that is. But the only drawback about creek chubs is you have to find a creek that they live in. A creek chub can get up to almost a foot long, if you luck into some that big, just cut them into two pieces and use both. Crawdads are hard to beat. Nightcrawlers are effective, but they just invite the bream, drum, and bait stealers.

One more thing, shiners make a good substitute for the creek chubs, but they're expensive.

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    AJ got that tip from me...He's right though..I've been having a lot of success on creek chubs..I haven't found any a foot long but heck the small 4-5 inchers seem to work just fine..Last time I went to get some I caught a few shiners too..

6. 6pointer0075

6pointer0075 New Member

State:
    tn
    thanks for all the tips!! went out last night and cought a few small ones on some cut shad but nothing to brag about. i here that the flatties love gold fish?? i tried um last night but no luck. ill have to try the creek chubs. thanks guys

7. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Well I wish ya'll had better advice, I cant seem to get into any either, been using everything you mentioned cept for secret 7.
    Earlier this week caught one small one on trot line with liver, but nothing since... Does the catfishing get better as the weather cools?

8. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes..Summertime is tough to fish for cats..They spread out...When the weather starts to cool down they congregate in there wintering holes..I've seen them while diving several times stacked up on top of each other in there wintering holes..They'll be fattening up in the fall to prepare for the winter when they'll be almost dormant..