Dogs

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Chris, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have a whippet mix dog and it seems like that everytime she goes outside she will naturaly look up into the trees for squirrels and if she sees the squirrels in the yard she will run out there and tree the squirrel so the squirrel has no where to go. Every time that we take our dogs for a walk she is always looking around and looking up into trees. How hard do you think it would be to train her for hunting?

chris

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    She sounds like a natural born coon dog.
    How old is she and what type hunting do you want to train her for? It won't be easy, I assure you. You might want to consider a dog more suited to tracking. Sounds like she hunts more by sight than scent.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Chris.Season ends Feb.15 in Ga.Don,t know about S.C.It is up to the dog & you.You have the raw materal,as she likes to tree.Encorage her every chance you get.Dead sguirrels (fresher the better)Tie a string on them and throw it over a limb.Pull it up and down,while encoraging the dog to tree.GUN FIRE.start off with BB or pellet rifle,and reward when fireing.Go on to 22 & shot gun.Get dog to relate gun to sguirrel.Look up "Squirrel Dog" on internet."Galla Creek Kennel" has many training tips.Best way of all,is to take her with trained dogs.Hope this helps,peewee-williams.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You want her to hunt by SIGHT ALONE.If she hunts Squirrels by scent,she will be treeing on long gone squirrels.The trail that would lead her to a tree may be a hour or more old.The squirrel may be long gone in that time.peewee-williams

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    chris all it takes to train a dog is patience and working with the dog. keep the dog in the woods as much as possibly.put the dog with another trained dog really helps.(kind of follow the leader thing) sounds like the dogs got a head start on you training it. some of the best rabbit dogs arent beagles. some of the best coon dogs ive seen are better deer dogs but all dogs have hunting in there blood.nothing like a dog blowing the top out of a tree or a pack of hounds burning one down. music to these ears.

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    When I was a kid we had a mix bread dog that hunted squirrels by site, best thing about her when the squirrels jump from that tree to another she saw them and followed. If she's not gun shy then she's already trained. I would take her to the woods and see what she does. Then follow pee-wee's advice if she is gun shy. To me for squirrel hunting I'd rather have a dog that site hunt's than one that hunt's by scent.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Chris,
    There is a lot of good advice in the above posts. I agree that putting your dog on the ground with another dog can help with training but just becareful as to the dog You put it with to train. Make sure that You like every aspect of the older dog, because Your Young dog will learn both good and bad habits from the other dog.

I've never hunted or trained a squirrel dog. I'm into pointing dogs, But dog training is dog training all the same. just remember to make sure Your dog enjoys training time, be patient & even tempered, and never miss an opportunity to train. Try to spend at least 15 minutes a day training and before you know it you'll have a finished dog.

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Any dog can be trained. Just keep this in mind, the ONLY reason he or she isn't doing what you want them to do is because they don't understand what your asking of them!

9. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    i got a jack russel and he'll tree a squirel and i didnt even traine him at all. only problem i got with him is a little to hyper. i gotta problem with him running away. he even tree a big ol coon the other day

10. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like you got the squirrel hunting part down. Now all you would really have to worry about is the dog runnin' "off" game such as deer, fox, rabbits, etc.

11. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I got me a pointer mix, and she'd do the same thing. So, I just started takin' her out in the woods, as is. But, she didn't just stick to one critter. She'd go after anything but birds out there. So, ya might wanna break her of running other game, if squirrels is the primary thing you want. Me, I was just in it for the fun for me and my dog. So, I didn't care, and encouraged her on every critter she wanted(except the deer of course). And she loved it.

-Red