dogs

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by kingcat12, Oct 1, 2009.

1. kingcat12

kingcat12 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    are dogs that important when rabbit/pheasant hunting?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC,Nick. In my honest opinion,I dont think you need a dog for either. But a good dog can sure help when phesant hunting.

3. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I remember going hunting with my Grandfather. He raised beagles and trained them to run rabbits. You aint lived till you have a pack of them get on the trail of a cottontail. Hearing them heat up as they get on a fresh rabbit trail. Those rabbits will try all sorts of tricks to shake them too. They will circle, walk logs, all sorts of tricks. I loved it. He also had a good squirrel dog we would take hunting. It was a little feist and he loved to tree those bushytails. Another man would bring his big hound sometimes with us. And the little feist would tree 1 or 2 squirrels on the way to the other dogs tree. That hound must have thought he had to go a 1/4 mile between trees.

4. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Robert I agree. You could kill rabbits with a .22 or shotgun just walking logging
    roads and fields but hunting with beagles is so much more fun. I think
    big hounds are to cold nosed to be great squirrel dogs. Its better I think
    to have a hot nosed dog that will also tree on site like a feist.
    We have no pheasant where I live.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  5. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I think it helps to have dogs but I don't think you have to have dogs. You can do just find without dogs.

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dogs just add another demention to the sport. Once you incorporate them into hunting it gets to be about getting them opportunities to hunt and do their thing.
    Just one more really good addition to doing what we love to do.

ron

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if ya just want to kill them you dont need a dog but with out a good dog its just work to me.i get as much kick out of watching a good dog work as i do shooting sumpin but thats just me.

8. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Your right, you can hunt without a dog. But, you will be missing out on a new level to the sport. Now, don't get crooked with me. I have hunted both walking and flying game without a dog. But the best memories are of hunts shared with family and friends and a good dog or two. Something about those frosty mornings and my grandfather or dad telling me which dog was in lead. Hearing the baying off in the distance and reading the story of what they were doing in my mind as they search desperately to pick up the trail. Each dog wanting to be the first. Then you hear that one unmistakable bark as he finds it. And they all line up on it and take off. You back against a tree and get ready, just in case he breaks you way. Closer and closer they come. Then just as they are about to come into the clearing you were watching they turn and you hear the boom of a shotgun go off just down from you. Well, this time wasn't your time. But, the next race might be. My grandfather walks over and picks up his prize. The dogs all jumping and sniffy around him. They know he will take out his knife and in a second give them a treat that will get their blood pumping and fire them up for the next race.
    Everyone is different. Some people like to still hunt. Sitting, listening and watching as the woods wake up around them. I do now, but only because I can't hunt like I would really like to. The ones that gave that to me are gone. But I think I have the best part of them still with me. The memories..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  9. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's just not as fun with out a dog. If you've never hunted rabbits with a good pack of beagles then you've never hunted rabbits. Nothing like it.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hounds after Deer, Pumas, Jaguar, Bear, Coons, Fox, and Bunnies. Nothing and I mean nothings beats the excitement of hunting with dogs. Don't get me started on bird dogs:big_smile: