Dogs or drives

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Mi11er, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    What is the preferred method of hunting rabbits. Do you like to stomp on brush piles or use dogs? I just used dogs for the first time in my life and just watching them beagles work was worth the trip. They get my vote!

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now why would ya want to stomp on a dog?:wink:

3. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Beagles hands down. I have never taken any type of hunter rabbit hunting
    with a pack of beagles that they didn't have a ball. When beagles jump or
    are running a hot track they do not sound like they are barking, they sound
    like you poured gas on them and set them on fire. Man thats fun.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ya got that right:big_smile:

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Dogs hands down. I used to have beagles and love to hear them run. Who cares if you kill the rabbit.

Tom

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    There's just nothin' in the world that can compare to the thrill of the chase with a pack of beagles!! Here in SC, we also hunt deer with deer dogs, (hounds) and it is also quite thrilling.
    Bill in SC

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Gonna loose the hounds on some white tails in the morning !!!!!!!

8. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    never used a dog for hunt'n rabbits , round here in these parts cottontails are everywhere i just walk canyons , rock croppings , and such get are limit everytime :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:.
    now with the snowshoe i would use dog's , since these guys are way up high . i've never seen anyone around here use dogs come to think of it , will keep my eye out for hunters that do just to see how they like it .

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I hunt rabbit here much like I deer hunt. I take my 22 rifle and spot and stalk. If they run very far ,I just look for another. only head shooting. Been that way ever since I shot 11 at the age of 14 with a shotgun. I dont use anything but a rifle now,Just me I guess.

10. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    If you haven't chased bunnies with beagles you just haven't experienced IT ALL yet, it's just the greatest, and just like it was stated before, it's almost--who cares if ya get a bunnie if ya had a bunch of races:roll_eyes:

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I got the dogs if anyone knows where any rabbits are at. I'm south of joplin 45 minutes but will drive to hunt if anyone has a descent place to hunt.

12. Little Bill

Little Bill New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dogs get my vote. Raised beagles for most of my life. Gave away my last pack 10 years ago due to no where left to run them. Of course most of the time I would only shoot one rabbit to eat every now and then. I love to watch and hear them run. Music to my ears. I would always get mad when someone would shoot the rabbit off of the jump. It is more about the hunt than the kill imo. Now I just shoot a few with the 22 every year. Sure miss the beagles and the SWEEEEEEET music they make. Nothin Like it!!!!

13. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    well CH you haven't showed up yet so i guess i'm going solo ( LOL )
    i'll wait 1 more hour if ya ain't here i'm leave'n .........

14. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    My thoughts also. You can tell when someone hunts rabbits with dogs for the first time. They tend to follow the dogs...big mistake...find a fence row, brush line or ditch and wait quietly and stand still. The dogs will bring him back in a circle.:cool2:

Watching and listening to the dogs makes the hunt. I don't have to kill a rabbit to have a good hunt. Most of the time I don't carry a gun, but if I do it will be a Remington Nylon 66.

I have two males and after the Missouri doe season is over, I will run them 3 to 4 times a week till the end of season. I only take a .22 and by the end of season I will fill a limit off running rabbits.

Good luck chasing the bunnies.