Dogs for hogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by RiverKing, Jan 26, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    anyone ever heard of using dogs to hunt hogs??

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ive heard they use them inTX mostly catahoula type I think

3. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    riverking , if u want the lowdown on hog hunting with dogs , contact crosstixs here on the board .......................

4. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ive heard about dogs helping when youre hunting the hogs w/ a knife

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep catahoula's or black mouth cur's. Have a houla laying here besde me now. They make awsome pets, loyal, smart, and tough as nails.

6. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    Couple of years back I went on a guided hog hunt with Jay Dorsey in with dogs and it is very exciting listening to them in the woods. We even did a hunt at night, talk about get you pumped up.

Anyway, lots of folks use them

7. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I used to raise catahulas, great dogs, they catch the hogs by the ears and the nose and hold them so you can catch the hog and duct tape his mouth shut and tie his legs or if you don't want him alive,stick him with a knife. Young mans game, I'm too old and heal too slow to play that way anymore.We also used them to catch wild cattle. Tough dogs.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    catahoulas, blackmouth curs, mountain curs, plott hounds, all make good hog dogs if you have the energy to chase them! a lot of folks are using pit bulls or pit crosses for catch dogs, but a lot of the above mentioned breeds will catch as well. a guy i know was holding a hog by the back leg when his pit bull ripped the hog's ear off. i'll bet his grip on those back legs really tightened up after that, haha. he didn't come away with any scars, the pit grabbed the hog by the nose after that.
    one thing with the pit bulls, they better know the dogs they are hunting with. they will sometimes run into the fight and lock down on one of the other dogs.

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    My stepbrother runs a hog hunting outfit in georgia. He mostly uses pits and bull type dogs. He recomends that his clients use a knife to finish the hog as he doesnt want to risk his dogs getting shot. Here are a couple of pics.

This is him on the left along with a couple buddies and a couple dogs:
    http://hometown.aol.com/hawgwildhunting/PhotoAlbum/images/008_HogDogHunt_jpg.jpg

Here is one of his dogs with a good hold on a hog:
    http://hometown.aol.com/hawgwildhunting/PhotoAlbum/images/009_HogDogHunt_jpg.jpg

Here is a monster:
    http://hometown.aol.com/hawgwildhunting/PhotoAlbum/images/049_475lb_Boar_jpg.jpg

Ive never gone myself but he always brings a few videos of his hunts when he comes to town. Personally, I think bow hunting these beasts would be the ultimate rush.

10. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    I've got 2 hog dogs tied up at my house right now. One treeing walker and one walker/cur cross. Hog hunting with hounds is definitely the most exciting hunting you can do in the South East US and probably the whole of North America. You never know how big or mean a pig you might find.

11. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i've heard of ppl using dogs for hogs but i never done it....but i raise pitbulls here in south east ohio and i read lots about it on diffrent sites they say they use the pits cause of the power of the dog....i think it would be interresting to see one of my pitbulls raised for hog hunting instead of just show and guard dogs

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    We use Redbone/Currs mostly but we do have 2 Plott hounds, 1 will catch & the other won't even put his mouth on one but he'll sure burn one's A$$ up :wink:

13. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I JUST RECENTLY GOT TWO CURR PUPS AND A GUY LET ME USE AN OLD FEMALE KEMMER CURR THAT HAS BEEN IN A FEW BATTLES OF HER OWN. WENT OUT YESTERDAY AND CAUGHT A TRAK AND THE FEMALE HAD THE HOG BAYED A COUPLE OF TIMES BUT I GUESS I AM JUST TOO FAT AND OUT OF SHAPE THAT THE HOG CAUGHT IT'S WIND AND TOOK OFF BEFORE WE COULD GET THERE. I WAS ABLE TO CALL THE DOG OFF AND SHE CAME BACK. SURE WILL BE GLAD WHEN THOSE PUPS GET A LITTLE BIGGER. BUT ALL IN ALL THE ADRENALIN WAS FLOWING.