Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Dogs being used to trail deer.

3K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  Whiskers4life 
I don't understand why there is any question about it. Do you think that using a dog to track a wounded deer somehow takes away from the sport of the hunt? Somehow makes you less of a hunter because you couldn't find it on your own?

I think it is not only ethical but very practical. I feel the same way as you about leaving a wounded deer in the woods. That's a good part of the reason I quit bow hunting. I lost two deer in about three years and I just couldn't stand it. I replayed the scenarios over and over in each case. I waited for a good shot. Took my time. Put an arrow all the way through both deer. Both at less than 25 yards. Tracked one about 300 yards before losing blood. The other I lost blood after about 50 yards. It just kills my soul to know that I have killed a deer and not been able to find it.

Would a dog have made a difference in either case? I don't know. Would I have used the dog to attempt to track the wounded deer? You bet! One of the deer in question was in Louisiana (not sure if tracking with dogs is legal unless an open season with dogs is in progress), the other in Mississippi where only legal if gun-with-dog season is in progress.

Now, to take the question a step farther (and I know there is another thread going on posing this question), is it ethical to use dogs to drive deer while hunting? It is legal here in Mississippi though I don't participate in the sport currently. I hunted with dogs in Louisiana in my younger days. My grandfather used to love to raise deer dogs. I see no problem using dogs as long as it is legal. I understand a lot of the controversy with the issue too. I don't want to fight with anyone but I'd be interested in hearing some opinions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.