Dogs and Fishing Bait.

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by CatHound, Nov 20, 2006.

1. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    BOC member "rcneman" made a post about his dog swallowing a baited hook - So, I
    thought I would pass along a little training technique that other folks might find
    useful.

How to train a dog to not bother your bait:

You will need the following items.
    1. a piece of 6-12 inch mono
    2. a piece of 12-18 inch mono
    3. your rod
    4. some cheese cloth - brand new panty hose will work also.
    5. some thread.
    7. a heavy object (like a brick)
    8. some of those small firecracker booby traps (I forget what they are called off
    hand - but, they have strings coming out of both sides). The ones you get at firework stands, or party favor, or magic supply stores.
    9. Several kinds of bait that you typically use for fishing.
    10. a small piece of fairly heavy plastic.

Here's how to do it - don't let your dog witness you setting this up and make sure you wash your hands first and rub the baits on your hands so the set up smells like the bait instead of you. You should do this with each kind of bait seperately and respectively. Also, rub the bait on your rod so that it smells like that kind of
    bait as well.

1. Take the bait and place it in a piece of cheese cloth and tie it off with the
    thread - let the cheese cloth soak up the bait juice for a little bit while you do
    the rest of the following steps.
    2. Tie the 6-12 inch piece of mono to one end of one of the booby trap's string.
    3. Tie the other end of the 6-12 inch mono to your cheese cloth bag of bait.
    4. Tie the 12-18 inch piece of mono to the other booby trap string.
    5. Tie the other end of that 12-18 inch mono to the heavy object.
    6. Lay the booby trap and bait set-up down next to the heavy object and cover the booby trap with the piece of plastic - so that your dog does not associate the smell
    of the booby trap with the bait and to protect it's face from the small report given off my the booby trap - experiment with the booby trap and plastic so you feel
    comfortable with how that will work.
    7. Lay your rod tip next to that - so your dog will associate the rod and bait together.
    8. Bring in your dog now, and let it do the natural thing - that being sniff the bait set-ip and pick up the bait in it's mouth. Don't point your dog at the set up, let it discover the bait bag by itself.
    9. Repeat as necessary with all of your different kinds of bait.

Some details: You want this set up such that your dog will pick up the bait with out picking up the booby trap in it's mouth (you don't want to hurt your dog - just
    startle it). Make the mono pieces long enough so that the dog only gets the bait in it's mouth (you will have to adjust the length of the mono according to your dog's
    size and habits). Some dogs grab and run (as my dogs would do) others might want to swallow it immediately, it that is the case with your dog, just gently nudge (with your leg or knee - not your hand) the dog away from the set-up right when it picks it with it's mouth.

I don't know how this would work for small breed dogs - mine are quite large as have been other dogs I've worked with. Some times the dog does not pull hard enough to set it off, so use your imagination a little to help the process along - but be sure to not let your dog associate YOUR actions with the bang. It has to be a process that appears unrelated to you.

This is what will probably happen:

Your dog will pick up the bait in it's mouth and set off the booby trap thereby startleing it. Your dog will learn to associate the rod and bait smells with the bang of the booby trap. Watch carefully. Your dog will probably back off fast enough that the bait comes right out of it's mouth - if not, you can pull it out quite easily by the piece of mono sticking out of your dogs mouth. Worse case scenario - your dog will harmlessly pass what is left of the bag and mono the next day. An older or smaller dog may require some adjustments to this technique - your dog may also start to bark at your bait when it encounters it on fishing trips. Oh well -
    That is much better than trying to remove a baited fishing hook.

I hope I explained this well enough for you to understand it. I know what I meant, but, don't know if it was clear to you. If you have any questions, Please feel free to bring those up.

Disclaimer: If you try this wrong and do not ask for and recieve clarification on any unclear points in this process - it is YOUR own fault for what happens with your
    dog. Know your dog and do what is best for it - your dog's safety and health should be your first and main concern. If you are concerned for your dogs safety because of this process, get a professional trainer to assist you with training your dog.

If you do it right, it should work. My dogs don't even look at bait anymore.

Anyway, good luck training your dog to be a good fishing buddy - and always keep your dogs safety and well being in the forefront.