Dogfood as bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Shinchan, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    So here I am, itching to go catfishing and the warden/wife won't consider early parole even for good behavior after the stinkbait incident, my friend stops by to, well, rub it in and tell me about his fishing trip. Seems he only caught 3 smallish catfish and they were all stuffed to the gills with dry dogfood. The guy next to him caught a 9 pounder and it barfed up some dog food while it was being unhooked. I'm thinking this is a good bit of info if I could only figure out how in the heck do I get a hook into some dry dogfood? Any ideas?
    (P.S. As long as it doesn't involve a blender or ripening in the sun, I think I'll be spared from having my fishing gear end up in a yard sale while I'm at work:smile2:)

2. ByrdDog

ByrdDog New Member

State:
    Covington,Ga
    My dad's buddy had a catfish pond and thats what they used for feed. I've also heard of chumming with dogfood but as far as getting it on the hook I couldn't tell you. I do know that after the dogfood was put out these cats would hit anything that resembled bait that was in the water near that area.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I would use a mesh, either the kind used with produce such as onions, or finer mesh used with draperies.

The dry dog food concept would keep you away from the blender...good move! :big_smile:

Mahalo!

4. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I used to trotline with a dogfood called (tinder chunks).I haven't seen any in years.Kibbles and bits are pretty much the same thing exept it has hard pieces mixed in.Anyway,the soft pieces are what you use.Used to do really good fishing for channel's.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've heard of some folks having success using Old Roy Dinner Rounds, but I've never tried them myself.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if the fish are fed dog food, we fish some liver 12" below the surface

7. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    do you think dog food would be a good chum for lake or river (very slow to no current) catfish. Throw some out and see what happens? Maybe that kibbles and bit might be good, some float some sink!?!

8. mudfarmer

mudfarmer New Member

State:
    Texoma
    i'm not sure of the brand but some of the dry catfood is made with holes in the middle that would slip right over a hook.cat foods about the same only it has a higher protein content.

9. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Shincan:

Dog food works quite well over here for CARP so I'm pretty sure it'll have the same effect on cats! What you need to do is purchase the tins with SQUARE meat-chunks in them (we have a brand over here called "Pedigree Chum" that works best) as I find it stays on the hook better.

Hope this helps.

P.S.-------They have Cats in OAHU?

Tight Lines & Good Luck.

10. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I live in farm county where it was not uncommon to stock, stock tanks or ponds as most of you call them with channel cats. The catfish food that was bought to feed those fish is similar to dry dog food. We would used canned dog food for bait because it was easier to bait and stay on the hook.

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Have you tried grinding up the dry dogfood and adding cheese and eggs.
    The cheese and eggs by themselves make a really good dip bait. You probably don't even need to let them ferment awhile.Just until they are sticky enough to hold your bait together.
    best of luck
    just

12. gerbjello

gerbjello New Member

State:
    york, pa
    i would try useing caned dog food eather the chunkey kind or putting some in a panty hose square the dip bait sounds like a good idea too.

13. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Thanks for all the info! I experiment at home (I'll make/buy the bait and test it in a jar of water to see how long it lasts) until I'm "ungrounded" and can fish again...