Dogfish for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Gordhawk, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Has anyone ever tried using dogfish as cut bait? I caught one today & cut him up & put him in my bait fridge in the garage. There's an old commercial fisherman in my area that swears by cut dogfish for his trot lines.I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has used this bait. I forgot to mention that I'm going to try this tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

if this is the same thing as a mudfish make sure they are legal in your area I used them in Texas on Monticello Lake whole and live and had excellant results but they are illegal here in NC due to the fact that a new to NC spieces was found in some river in western NC. A salamander type thing.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't believe a dogfish is the same as a mud fish. I don't really know what a mud fish is but the way you talk about it being a salamander type thing, I think maybe what you call a mudfish, we call them water puppies around here. They are a salamander type thing. We used to use them alot for bait on our trot lines when we were commercial fishing. We caught alot of BIG catfish on them. Anyway I went out fishing today & baited 1 rod with the cut dogfish 1 time and had a couple little hits on it but that was it. The fish just didn't seem to be biting on anything too well today so I'll have to try the dogfish again someday. I think they must be legal to use for bait here in Iowa as I said there's a commercial fisherman in the area that uses them for cut bait whenever he can get them.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If they are the same and I believe them to be they are a very good bait for catfish. I have never cut them we used them whole and cought a mix of bass and cat's with them.

5. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Iowa = Dogfish
    Texas = Mudfish
    Tennessee = Bowfin
    Mississippi = Grinnel

They are all the same hard fighting, headfull of teeth, prehistoric looking fish; that all bass fishermen dread to have strike thier plug.
    I've never used them for bait, he11, I never get them past the bank. Take care , Jeff

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Believe it or not,that's the first dogfish that I have ever caught. If I hadn't seen one before I wouldn't have known what it was. He probably didn't weigh over 1 pound,but he sure put up a good fight. Caught him on a night crawler,fishing for small bluegills. I went fishing last Thur. & baited 1 rod up with the dogfish and had a couple of light hits,but nothing serious. I've still got the rest of it in a zip lock bag in my bait refrigerator in the garage,I'll try it again @ a later date.

7. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We got 'em up to 10lbs in the backwater of the obion river. It's about a 3/4 mile 4 wheeler ride from my house. Must of them I have caught have been on a live green sunfish. I can pretty much tell one from the strike. The slip float never quite reaches the stop before it disappears. Almost all have hit the bait as soon as it hits the water. Let me know if anything hits the cut bait...Jeff

8. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    We call them grinnel down here in Arkansas.Yes I have used them as cut bait.They work better alive but they also do good cut up.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I wonder what is a dogfish?

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Use a fireplug for bait...:lol:

~~~~~~~~~~
    People laugh because I'm different, I laugh because they're all the same.

11. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I still don't think I know what you guys are talking about?I thought it was mud puppys,I have never heard of this dog fish but if it brings in the big cats I wanna learn:smile2:

12. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    from the salamander like description.. it sounds like mudpuppies... we have those here but they are very rare to catch on pole.. to me anyway.. my uncle caught one like 4-6 lbs i think he told me before.. we catch them with our hands.. that are about 2-4 in long.. they are SO CUTE :roll_eyes: lol... thats what they sound like though