Dogfish are a kids best friend!

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by C_wernett, Jan 2, 2008.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Me and a buddy took my two oldest daughters and his adopted son out to Ft. Macon to see if we could pit the kids up against some dogsharks. The water has been a little warm, so the bite was a bit slow. Cool temps should bring them in good by next weekend though.

Alyssa managed to wrestle in a couple of nice smooth dogsharks on my 10' surf rod! Man she's my little trooper, and won't give up during a fight...she makes me very proud, being 6 and using gear bigger than her, baiting her own hook and handling her own fish! I pretty much let her have all the fish that hit that rod, I've caught and will catch plenty. Her sister had a good time but chose sand castles over fish tussles! lol

We got a few, and my buddy caught a nice 1lbs. southern puffer that the kids just had to cheese it up with!

Attached Files:

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Looks like some good memories being made their

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, my kids love getting out there...I don't know where they get it from!:cool2:

Every year about this time I start hearing,"Daddy...is it time to catch the doggies yet?"

4. Tinsldr2

Tinsldr2 New Member

State:
    GA
    What did you use for bait?

My son used to lov fishing with me when he was that age but now he is a 14 year old teenager and it isn't cool to hang with Dad much when I am home. he would rather look for teenage girls on a beach then fish for now. he also isn't into getting up early on a weekend :)

he is still a great Kid and maybe some Dogfish are what he needs.

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Congratulations on your fishing trip with the family. Good thing she's a girl. If you had a son and he was like my brother and I, we'd have spent half the time trying to get the others fingers in its mouth!

6. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Dogfish are nice because when they are there, they are THERE! There is no time to get bored, unless you just get bored with catching fish after fish. It's what I used to keep my girls interested...plus you get the cool factor since it's a shark species.

Oh, and we were using cut mullet for bait. We had some shrimp too, but they were choosing the mullet over the shrimp. Smaller ones usually prefer the shrimp.

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, we were catching smooth doggies that day and they don't have any teeth, or a real strong bite for that matter...so that wouldn't have been cool. I like to freak people out with them by lipping them like a bass!

8. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Would like to view your pics, but I've yet to eclipse 10 posts. I go to Ft. Macon as well, albiet only 2-3 times a year. I've yet to fish there, this spring that will change. What do you usually catch out there? Was hoping spring would bring some good drum and blues, and hopefully an occasional shark.

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    During the warmer months your got blues, black drum and red drum on the ocean side, flounder all over, whiting, trout bites in the morning, and sheephead around the jetty. There are some bruiser shark and rays that come through that deep water in the inlet, along with some cobia too if you can get to where they like to sit.

10. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How is April? I want to go in March but I like it to be warm when I go so it's more like a vacation. Are the water temps pretty decent? My plan was to fish early morning and mid morning around Ft. Macon, then come in and fish the sound during the day, then back out at the inlet in the evening/night. I know it closes at 8 right? I'll find somewhere to park :confused2:. You familiar with the Triple S Marina? That's where my buddy has a place, and if the boat is operational then we will be in business and surf fishing will probably only take place a couple times, but that's still up in the air.

11. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Nice pictures..

BTW what kind of reel is that?

12. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    April should see water temps rising good, of course that all depends on the weather. Spring I don't fish out there much, as my attention in turned to spring runs of other fish in other areas. There should be decent numbers of flounder starting to show up though, along with more active schools of black and red drum. There should also be some good bluefish in around that time, but like I said, having not fished there much in the spring, I don't know if the big ones come in that far. If you're buddy gets out on the outside of the sandbar in his boat though, hang on, the 30"+ blues should be doing their thing! But I've never had a boat to fish from, so I'm just going off others reports, and pier catches for that time of year. Whiting should be around, and I'm not sure if pomps will be around much, as I've never caught one to really know. Should have some trout around still too, unless the big blues got them chased into the inlet and up into the grass.

The reel on that rod is an Okuma Avenger. It was my upgrade reel from my smaller Penn Captiva that I love, but just didn't have the line capacity to handle some of the fish I was hooking up with. (Got spooled three times in two weeks...that was enough!) I've been reel(nice pun eh?) happy with it, and even though I put it on late, I still managed to hang a hug stinger, probably in the 150lb. range, and the reel performed great, but the 30lb. line gave after 10min. of back and forth battle.

13. Rob S

Rob S New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Cool man, thanks for the info.

I own an Okuma Epixor 80, really like it. Very smoothe and I like the whole Okuma line.