Dog lovers unite!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Nov 14, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went to a local city counsil meeting last night to listen to their proposed ordinance concearning BSL, breed specific legeslation. As a dog owner I felt it necessary to be savvy to their intentions. I was shocked when I heard some of the dogs on their list, and the restrictions placed on the people who own those dogs. There is of coarse the good dog/bad dog arguments that I have, and have had, no intentions of engaging in. What is wrong is the unreasonable financial burden these measures impose on regular innocent folks, and their pets. In effect people will be found guilty for owning a vicious animal without due process. Provisions that I remember include: proper signage on property indicating that you have a vicious dog on your property; micro chipped and tattooed at owners expense; muzzeled and kept on a 3' or less leash when not on your property; to be kept in an "approved" enclosure inside an additional fence when on your property; $50 licensing fee; $750 escrow account "just in case" Those of you who own dogs registered with AKC, UKC, or ADBA, I strongly urge you to keep an eye out for these types of ordinances, as this is an unconstitutional movement that is sweeping the nation. This legeslation not only covers fighting dogs, and security dogs, but also many hunting, working, and sled breeds also. No dog should be deemed vicious unless proven to be so. On even the dog hater side of it, these measures or a constant financial drain on communities as the ordinance will be difficult an expensive to enforce. The lawful, responsible dog owners and breeders will be the ones who suffer, while the unscrupulous people are business as usual. Blame the deed, not the breed. Even if you don't own any of the restricted breeds I encourage you to stand up for your rights, or they will be snatched away!!!

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I too live in Missouri! And on landlord orders I was forced to put my dog that was born in my lap down.I will admit Thaddeus was very territorial I do not know why! I raised him from infancy and was never ever abusive to him nor were my kids.He had nipped a couple folks one right in front of me but never drew any blood.As a matter of fact I was embarrassed and atonished when it happened! Good Grief what next is it gonna be??? I just can't see doing all this to an animal to me it is abuse in and of it's self. Any dog I have ever owned and some were of the hunting breed has always been in the house with me. I figure they get hot and cold just like I do so they deserve Air conditioning in the heat and heat in the winter.People have said to me "Oh you keep yours in the house"? Where they shed all over? I say yes,thats what a lint brush is for.I take care of my pets and I give them much love.That is where I stand on the dog issue! Thanks,my opinion only.:big_smile:

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    This could get sticky......any dog can bite a person,thats a fact.

But

How many times ,just this year in K.C.,have you heard of someone being mauled/killed by a golden retriever,or poodle,orBorder collie??

now do a google search on just K.C. for pitbull attacks in K.C.

Notice a trend???:sad2:

I don't want to wait till one of my grandchildren is maimed/disfigured/killed to "blame the deed,not the breed"

I'm sure 99% of pitbulls are well behaved citizens.......But with so many hundreds of breeds out there,why take a chance??

And yes I am singleing out pitbulls

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Not really be a pitbull owner but they do have a reputation. Just last week a female pit showed up here at the house in the country. Evidently someone had dumped her. She sleeps in the lawn chair out on the carport. She is the most friendly little thing too. She and my little cocker play with each other just like they were brother and sister. So all in all, I guess some are good and some follow their reputations. But can't see forcing a bunch of restrictions on people's pets. Some I would probably agree with depending on what they were. JMO

5. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes, No, maybe - that's my position and I'm sticking by it !

I personally think there are no bad dogs - just bad dog owners.

That said, there is a strong case and an historical precedent for saying that some breeds were never bred nor intended to be pets.

In my particular case, I have hounds. They are gentle giants - when raised appropriately. Noone so far has ever implied to me that my hounds would be a threat just because of their breed or size. But, on the other hand, there is a saying within the knowledgable dog owner crowd that; if you chain up one of those dogs - it would be better to never let it off.

I have never had to chain my animals because of any behavioral or safety reasons - but then again, I've been a semi-professional trainer for decades and my hounds are better behaved than many people's children.

6. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Great input guys, and I appreciate it. I wish that I could find a way to get people to just keep their dogs on a leash in town like they're supposed to so that we can keep the animals we love regardless of their breed or origin. Just yesterday there was a dog bite incedent in our local trailer park when a girl let her pit bull out to go pee unsupervised. The dog chased down a jogger and bit her on the arm. So any headway that we were making just went out the window. The owner of the dog is a drug dealer who no doubt has no business with a dog like that. One of my best friends has been raising pit bulls for 25 years and has never had one of his dogs or pups sold bite a person. I have had 4 myself that lived their whole lives with no harm to a person. Historically, these dogs were bred to fight other animals, as were all terriers, but they also had to live in close quarters with the immigrants who brought them here. There was no tolerance for people biting dogs, and there shouldn't be now either. I am at a loss because I love all dogs. I have befriended litterally hundreds of pits and have never been threatened by any one of them including the 5 time national champion weight puller Chevy. I guess there's no way to weed out the responsible owners from the gravely incompetent ones, so now I shall bend over and take my undeserved swats.

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    my lil coonhound wouldnt hurt anyone that didnt try to hurt me.. well cept a coon ofcourse but thats why her name is sweetie cuz she just loves everyone! ill keep an eye out for stuff from the UKC though. thanks for the info

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Our granddaughters friend's mother had a pit bull... they had raised it from a pup. We were always concerned about the dog. She said it was just "a big ole pet". Well, this past summer the dog attacked another child for no reason. The owner had a problem getting the dog off the child. The child was badly injured. After that the owners decided to destroy the dog... thank God they had the sense to do the right thing. Those dogs should not to be fully trusted around children. Myself.. one dead child is not worth all the pit bulls. There is many different breeds of dogs that are not killers.

9. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    You are absolutly correct. Nobody should ever totally trust a pit bull, or many other breeds of dogs around children. You, me, nor the authorities, can possibly know which breeds are capable of maming and killing kids. Everything from pommeranians to great danes are guilty. Every year there are roughly 20 deaths in the US related to dog attack. And yes, within the last 5 years pit bulls have been responsible for a quarter of those. The numbers remain steady, while the breed blamed changes due to popularity. I totally agree that not all dogs are appropriate for all people. Some people don't even deserve to own any dog. However, that is not for you, or me to decide. Like it or not, the only fair and constitutional way to enforce any animal control law is to judge every case individually, and objectivly. The government cannot, an should not impose substantial financial hardship on citizens that are not guilty of commiting a crime. If someone allows a dog to maul a human, they should pay dearly. End of story. Behind every dog attack, there is an irresponsible pet owner to blame.