Dog kennel talk

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by Fishnhuntforever, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    I recently finished my dog kennel or dog palace whichever you prefer. I have a 10' x 10' powdercoated kennel on an 11 x 12 slab. There is a step down on the back side of the slab for spraying the kennel off. I built a cover that is 12 x 12. It sits 0n 4x4 posts and is roofed with standard roofing materials. I did two walls that are next to the slab to block the sun out. I made them by putting in two post on each side also 4x4 and attaching 2x4's and lattice between with trumpet vines for shade and protection. It looks nice and makes what could be an eyesore a thing of beauty. I installed plumbing to the kennel with a misting system that runs around the exterior roof with and on and off switch. I have a tee that has a licker and a hose bib on it. The hose bib for the hose to clean it out and the licker so I never have to worry about them not having water on hot days. I ran the plumbing under the sidewalk so everything comes together nicely. I am interested in hearing about other designs and sharing ideas. Any feed back is welcome.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sounds like you are married and getting the DOGHOUSE set up for YOU.Nice.peewee-williams

3. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    I am married and sometimes need a place to escape. I put alot of time and effort into training them and just want to make sure they are well cared for after all they are the only reason for my success when I am bird hunting. Plus they always listen to what I have to say, are eager to please and do what I ask them to. Can't think of a better friend then that.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a 10 X 10 with a 12' square slab with a 12' trap on the top with a 2x6 standing up and running the center for a top. The rain [when is does rain] and snow rolls right off and I fasten the sides with bunge straps. It sets next to a bank of trees and shrubs to the west and south and the only time it gets much sunlight is in the morning.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I hear what you are saying bro. I breed and show chihuahuas and they are my family as well:smile2: Dogs are a fact Mans best friend:big_smile: Mine listen to me as well.
    Do you got a picture of the run you built? Sounds awesome!

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    A man after my own heart.Ain;t it nice to be loved?No strings attached.I have no trouble hanging out with a dog.peewee-williams

7. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Did you have cable installed or go with the dish system?:big_smile: :big_smile:

Seriously,sounds like a lot of hard work,wish more people cared about their pets like you.

8. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    I don't have a digital camera but I will see what I can do to get something posted. Training dogs for show is alot of work. Do compete nationally? I have always been interested in doing field trials.

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I have handled my own chi's, but prefer to use pro's on the natioanl level like Eukanuba and Westminster. I have one chi, that I am working with at agility trials.

10. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    That sounds like alot of fun and excitement. Of course there is always money to be made for quality dogs. I don't know what it is like for non hunting breeds but hunting breeds get pretty pricy the better the bloodlines. I can only assume that it is the same with champion show dogs as it can be pretty competitive. Does it take alot of your time on the weekends or is it mostly seasonal? That also sounds like it would be a great family activity something that kids can really get into. You know we watch dog shows on tv sometimes I may have seen yours and don't even know it.

11. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Here are some pictures!

Attached Files:

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

David, that looks great. You seem to have done a terrific job, I'm sure the dogs really appreciate it. I have Golden Retrievers, but they aren't priveleged to such a posh environment:lol:. They do, however, have a very large (about 40'x40') dog lot on a shady wooded area of my property, which they seem to enjoy immensely. Only thing they like better is heading for the lake!!!:smile2:

13. Fishnhuntforever

State:
    Northern California
    Thank You! They are a little spoiled sometimes but what can you do they produce the birds. I think I over heard them saying something about a small fridge. But I don't care how much they beg I am not going to put it in. I can't decide who works for who but I know they are worth the time and energy. Do you hunt with your dogs?

14. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    Your dogs are very lucky to have someone who cares that much about them. Wish everyone did.
    One thing to watch for which I did not:

DO NOT build your dog's home under or near a grape vine. I did and one day looked out to see Crackerjack staggering around his pen. I ran out and picked him up and ran to the Vet's house down the block. Vet was home and examined crackerjack and ask me what I fed him. I told him the brand of food and he ask me if I fed him grapes? I said no but there were a couple grape vines growing over his pen for shade. Dr. told me I had a drunk dog. Being a minister I was surprised and dumbfounded. I ask him if I should get crackerjack some coffee and he laughed and said "No" but take care of him for a while and get rid of the grape vines. I kept cracker in the house for a couple days and dug out the vines. I kept that dog on the wagon...

Joe

15. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Sounds like a nice kennel there, Just got one myself, not as nice as yours but its okay.

Wheelmobile07

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Your kennel turned out very nice! Looks like it will have shade most of the time and will be easy to clean.