Dog Illness

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bwhupp, Sep 4, 2007.

1. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    So ya... after my fishing trip I came home to see my dog not using her back legs well and wobbling around unable to control it. Was fine and stuff but all of a sudden couldn't move them.

Took her to the vet and X-Rays show nothing wrong and blood work was all good as well as thyroid. Liver showed slight elevation in enzymes, but that is it.

Gave the dog a steroid shot and some orals to take.. but now she cant even hold her own weight up. Have to try and coax the dog to use the potty by holding her backend up and kneeling in the grass..

It is a schnauzer beagle mix who has never had a medical illness... so this is weird. A tad overweight, but nothing much. She just turned 10. Anyone have a similar experience?

After the steroids and if they don't work... i fear I will have to put her down :crazy:

2. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brian,

I'm so sorry about your pup. I hope you find out soon and are able to get her/him treated and back to health.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Brian: The word above means more history. Need more history. Let me dust off my diploma for a second. Your dog could have any of a multiple number of problems. Simple enough, now which one? We had a dog with a neurological problem 2 years ago that I had never seen before. We figured it out to be coon hound paralysis. I carried that dog around and hand fed her for 3 months before she became ambulatory again. If it happens again I will shot her in the head. It could be embolic thrombosis= stroke. It could be spinal cord deterioration. On and on. I can't and won't make a diagnosis here. Keep in contact with your Vet or change Vets. The dog can't vote. You get to pull the lever. John

4. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only time I had a dog do that, she had a tick, Gave her one of those tick bourne diseases. She got better after many drugs and removal of the tick.

5. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    watch out for parvo. out here it runs like wildfire, and i have had dogs with it act like this. if you catch it early enough they can treat it, if not, it will more than likely kill the poor dog. might be something that you would want to look into.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Well, so far the same. Rather sad to see. We have a return trip to the vet in two weeks after some steroid pills and her shot to see if that will turn it around. Man... carrying a dog around and holding its butt up while trying to convince it that the spot in the grass is acceptable for her to do her business is ridiculous. Talik about a work out carrying a little fatty. :wink:

Wouldn't a stroke show up in blood work? I would think it would.. but I know nothing about medical stuff. Our vet was talking about possible referrals to a neurologist and CT Scans for the dog.. call me a tight wad and bad, but no way could i do that for a dog that is already 10 years old. It is a little house dog that has no use but existance.

My pops just had some CT Scans done and they ran like 5k a pop... for a dog? No thanks. I'll put it down before I start paying out couple grand just to find something that might fix the dog for its remaining couple of years.

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i agree with ya i love our dogs and i would be saddened to have to call that shot , but i wont go into debt over an unknown illness.
    a kid is another story , you can always get another pet.
    i still hope all goes well for her. sorry to hear about her being ill.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Make sure you trust your vet! went through this 2 years ago with one of my Rotties, finally at the university vet hospital at U of I in champaign they found a cancer on her inner spine and it was to late by then. To each their own on the spending of money on their pets, but every dime we spent was worth it and will do it again if need be, good pet insurance is a great thing to have too, (future reference)..... Good Luck on your out come.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Had to do the hardest thing ever.. had to put the dog down. Wasn't getting better and started to have blood in urine. They believe the degeneration of her back got too bad to the point of it causing a lot more grief. She started to lose bladder control and the vet (went to a new one for second opinion) and was much more informative and helpful.

Had to make the call and now, I don't think I will get a dog again. Anything with a name and it being a pet doesn't belong in my house! :too_sad:

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I know it was a hard thing to do ,but it sounds as if you made the right choice for the dogs sake. :sad2:Your beloved pet may be gone ,but you'll never forget it. Believe me I know first hand.

11. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    my wife and i know the exat thing you are going through. we raise cocker spanials and had to put the first one i bought her down. was very hard cause he was only 6 yrs old,still have his brother and he is a hand full by himself. dont say you wont have another pet ,some day you will just give it time TRUST ME im there now.

12. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brother Brian,
    I am so sorry buddy...As you know me I am a dog lover and had to put my cocker down a few years back...It was hard for me too...However I felt it was my obligation to make her comforitable and when I couldn't I knew it was time...Brian you made the right move my friend...Once a dog can't make it's master happy or work...I feel they don't want to live...You will know...When they just stare at you with that look and if you have had the dog long enough you know the look it gives you and makes you happy...When he or she no longer raises it's head or tail or smiles at you or greets you at the door like you are the best thing they have seen all day because they are to weak or sick then it's time...The only thing that dog want to do is make it's master happy and when it can no longer do that, it don't want to live in my opinion...

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Sorry to hear your loss Brian, but you do know it was for the better, Was also the hardest thing I ever had to do (twice) as far as never getting another pet, you may not, I thought that too several times, but one day you will just end up with another as many of us have. Never to replace the lost one, just to fill that hole that some of us are lucky enough to have :big_smile:.
    Randy