Dog help!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tomcat85, Nov 23, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Okay so i have a feist terrier and hes about 7 months old. my dads sick i work my sister works and my mom is very stressed out between the dog and my dad. He is insane! not that hes bad or anything but he doesnt always listen. my moms having a lot of trouble handling the two. me and my mom are about 50/50 on hanging out with the pup. i was wondering if anyone had this type of dog and even if you dont if you guys have any tips for me and my fam on how we could train him and get him to calm down. if you do thatd be great! thanks brothers and sisters.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

The best thing for a hyper dog is long walks. I do not have that type of dog but I have high energy dogs and they need to be exercised. Some will burn energy off in the back yard but most really need to be walked. Have you seen a show called the dog whisperer? If not check it out he has a lot of good points on the show and always says the same two things. Exercise and be the pack leader.

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    They are a hyper dog that needs Exercise, play time to wear em down a little.
    I did a quick search and it said they are good family dogs, good farm dogs, hard to train and keep clam unless they can play a lot.
    I know someone who had one and if it dont get attention, it bark all the time.
    I think any dog can be trained if its made part of the family. Best friend, Exercise.
    Plus its still a pup. Pups need to play. Older it gets the more it will learn and clam down some.
    Good luck.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks guys i do watch the dog whisperer. its an awesome show. i just took him for a 20 minute walk and he already seems calmed down. i just dont want to have to get rid of him. hopefully i can keep him wore out lol. thanks for the tips again!

5. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Petsmart and other pet places offer obedience trainning for a fair price, takes 1 morning talk to them

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Ok, I have a Dalmation/Labrador mix and as you know they are a very "energetic" dog. I have a system that accomplishes two things, I'll get to that in a moment, Your dog needs to run [eg:exercise], at the very least 45 minutes a day. So I take ol' bucky to the river with me and "run" him. I'll play fetch and games like "tug & pull" and he loves it! Ever since I started to do this his behavioral issues have ceased. Not all together, mind you, but a great deal easier to handle for sure. He listens very well now and I reinforce his good behavior with a Lemonhead..lol He loves them. So it accomplishes exercise and reinforces his good behavior at home so it's a win/win situation for both Master Buck and I.
    I know not everyone has the time to run your dog, but if you can fit it in then you'll have a great companion for life! JMHO

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    shock collar, I have trained several retriver for duckhunting, if used properly they are very effective, but first i always use positive reinforcement for doing what i want, when a dog is trained it will do what ever it takes to please it owner, they will try you to gain dominance but do not yield once you do it is very difficult to regain dominance, Barking is the hardest to break I use a sonic bark break it sends out a high pitch burst only the dog hears does not hurt the dog just distracts him. you can get ones that will go off on a bark or by your control.

8. Stlnifr

Stlnifr New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have 4 feist that I squirrel hunt with. They are always hyper but calm down considerably after a hunt. They need the exersize to burn off excess energy. The smaller the feist the more energy they seem to have.

9. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm not familiar with the feist terrier but we have a Jack Russell Terrier that is 11 months old next Tuesday. She is full of energy and like some of the others said exercise and discipline are the keys to getting your pup to settle down. I think letting your pup know who is the leader of the pack is just as important as exercise. You can't be afraid to correct your pup & let it know that you are the boss and not it. ( male or female)? I hate to keep referring to your pup as it! What's the name? I assume this pup you have is a rat terrier? I don't know that much about training dogs but if you have any questions I will be happy to share what I know with you. I suppose you've heard the old saying,"spare the rod & spoil the child," the same holds true with a pup. Good Luck!!

10. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I have a spoiled, stubborn peekapoo. I think I'll try walking her more and like Benji said..I'll be the leader of the pack.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm sorry I just went back and read your post again and I see you refer to your pup as he. I guess I need to start reading a little closer before I reply to a post. Also when I referred to that saying "spare the rod & spoil the child",please don't think I meant that I beat our dog,because I don't. If you go about it the right way you don't have to beat an animal to get them to mind you. Sorry for rambling on!

12. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    haha my dog is a he and his name is macgyver i wish i could take himto run but i live in the city. so i walk him a lot. is this as good as running?

13. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    oh and one more thing how do you show dominance over your dog so you are the leader?

14. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you don't have a place to run your dog then walk him for at least 20 minutes at a time as many times a day as you can. Believe me you'll wear out before he does. As far as establishing dominance over your dog make sure you are walking your dog and he's not walking you! In other words don't let him dictate where he wants to walk,make him walk where you want him to walk. Don't be afraid to scold him if he's not doing what you want him to do. He will soon realize that you are the leader of the pack and he will become a faithful follower. If I can be of anymore help,don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck!

15. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thanks so much for the help! hes getting better already ive been walking him more and he seems to be calming down a bit. if i have anymore questions ill PM you or put them on here thanks again.

16. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If you are having trouble taking your dog for walks, then try dog run. I have one and it helps a lot. Also you have to make sure the dog understands that you are the boss. Terriers WILL TAKE OVER A HOUSE IF DO NOT LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE THE ALPHA MALE!
    Obedience training is very helpful also!!!!!! You might also trying putting him outside on a porch so he can be amused by what goes on. Another trick, but use it at last chance deal is another dog. That way the can entertain each other. I have had fiest terriers and they great dogs if can help train them. hope this helps.