Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well poor ole Skeeter got snake bit this afternoon. Got it on the snout about 1/2 inch behind his little black nose.

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog Fawn

Have you ever heard the phrase "made so much noise you would have thought they were snake bit". Well I can tell you the phrase is true. I was beside the garage getting a boat cleaned up and ready to go out in the next day or so. Then there came this sudden Yelp, yelp, yelp. At first I figured he had gotten stung by a bee. He is familiar with that also and NOT very fond of it. But when I looked, he came running out of the garage. So, I call him over and could see some blood spots appearing on his snout. That was a clue. I walked into the garage and there on the floor was a bundle of wadded up fruit tree netting. It had been in a cardboard box beside the narrow entranceway. Upon looking closer, there was a snake head and about 5 inches of his body sticking out of the netting. I grabbed a garden rake and hooked the netting and tried to lift the netting and snake up. No dice. The box the netting was in had been setting on an old kitchen chair and the snake had wrapped his body around the cross member supports. I used the rake to unwrap him and then got him picked up and carried out of the garage. He was about 4 feet long. The good part is it was not a poisonous snake. I have a 1 acre pond beside the house and it has the normal number of water snakes that hang around it. And I have a barn and big wood shed so have a couple of black snakes that move around the place.

I had to put Skeeter in the house because he wanted first dibs on that snake. If it had been a black snake I would have figured out a way to cut it free but water snakes don't get free passes. I have never used one for bait but could if I wanted too now. It would have to be used soon since the wife said there was no way in (well you know) that it was going into the refrigerator. Haha, I knew not to ask twice.

The little wiggly can RIP.

Here is one of my little Black Snakes.

Plant Wood Twig Trunk Tree

But all is well

Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
Poor fellow learned the lesson every country dog has to learn sooner or later. My coonhounds all get rattlesnake or copperhead bit early in their career. They actually learn the smell and avoid them from then on. In the meantime, little guys are miserable with the swelling and pain. Since yours was non-venomous no treatment is needed but for a venomous bite, kerosene rubbed generously over the swollen area will draw the poison and speed healing.

BTW, off subject, was the runner in your boat trailer broken after all?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't checked the runner yet Neill. I'll have to take it to Cataract lake and get the boat off of it to really give it a good inspection. I am assuming these are the original trailer bunks so they would be 6 years old. I will probably just replace them anyway. It gave two good pops one we brought her out of the water and went up the ramp so even if I can't see anything I am sure there is a crack in the 2 x 4. I think I will go to a 2 x 6 this time. I have already purchased the plastic bunk slicks (18 inch plastic pads). I am trying to decide if I want to just use bare wood to fasten the bun slicks to or put carpet on first. No real need for carpet and actually it just helps hold water so I am leaning toward bare wood.

I was glad that it was not a poisonous snake but after living here 20 years, I have never seen a poisonous snake in my area. Copperheads are a few miles away but none seem to be here. Skeeter has always checked along the edge of the pond for snakes during the summer. He will pounce on them but because they have a way of escape, they just fly off the bank and into the water. But this snake was trapped. That 1 inch weave netting is good for trapping snakes. They weave their way thru the netting and then get wedged in and can't move. So, him being trapped with no escape, he bit. That netting is what I put around the 2 inch poles that hold my Martin houses up. Snakes will climb up the pole and kill the birds.

Anyway, all is well and skeeter having no issues with the bite. Might have some bad dreams tonight though. lol

Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
Tom,
Some years ago I built replacement runners for my boss out of thick white plastic, I can't remember the type of plastic but it was the stuff cutting boards is made of. He had a big heavy boat and said he was sick of wood breaking. He covered them in carpet and mounted just like the wood ones and far as I know was happy with it.

Premium Member
Tom,
Sorry your pup got nipped, but thank Goodness it was a non-venomous variety.

I really do not like snakes but fortunately in our part of the state the venomous varieties are pretty rare. A couple weeks ago I was fishing my little stretch of river and I had a rod on a small, rip-rap, wing dam that is old, roadway concrete and re-wire. Perfect place for snakes this time of year. I knelt down by the rod and immediately there was a commotion right behind me. A garter snake had grabbed a frog about the size of a vole and the frog was screaming his lungs out. Sounded like a rat caught in a trap. I watched for a minute and the frog got free and hopped off. A short while later I caught a hammer handle channel cat. Since I was short of bait and tired of bait stealing dinks like this little bugger he got converted into cut bait. I decided to sit on a little sandbar and stay away from the snake haven wing dam. A few minutes later I saw movement on the near end of the sand bar. A northern water snake was making his way towards me. I got up and kicked sand at him and leaving me with a hiss and a aggressive posture, he went towards the bank. A bit later something was moving on the other end of the sand bar. The water snake was back. Apparently, the smell of the catfish I had cut up was attracting him. He was a lot more aggressive and wouldn鈥檛 leave when I kicked sand at him. He wasn鈥檛 backing down this time and continued towards me. I almost always carry a pistol when I鈥檓 fishing and this time I had a 22mag revolver. I blew a saucer sized hole in the wet sand immediately beside his head. His curiosity, or hunger, was satisfied and he struck off swimming straight across the river . I don鈥檛 mind snakes as long as keep their distance!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Distance does seem to make a beneficial difference. haha. I have heard the sorrowful song of many a frog since I have a pond so close. It is not hard to tell they are not happy. I had a friend years ago that was wading waist deep, fishing. He was putting crappie or bass on a stringer tied to his belt loop. He had caught a fish and when he reached down to get the stringer, he got bitten thru the thumb by a water moccasin. Drove himself to the hospital and after a few painful days made it back home.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neill, I have seen the HDPE. It is the same thing the white plastic cutting boards are made of. The "Bunk Slicks" (product make) I have are the same thing but made in 18 inch lengths so you only have to purchase the number you need for the bunk length your trailer has. Now all of the current ones I have seen are not thick enough to support the weight of a boat. They are only 1/4 inch thick or so and are mounted onto a 2 x 4 or 4 x 6 to provide the structural strength. Now there are a few ways to rig a trailer. Some mount the smaller pads on bare wood. The wood provides the strength and the plastic pads let the boat slide on and off the trailer with 1/3 of the normal effort needed when the boat is on carpet. Some will just add the Bunk Slicks on carpeted bunks. Some may cover the entire length of the bunk with the Bunk Slick but some will add the Bunk Slicks just to the front 2/3rds or 3/4ers. The slicks can make the boat slide too easily. A little carpet left in contact with the boat will slow it down a little. The carpet is usually left at the rear of the boat. This will resist sliding a little but when you back the boat into the water the water lifts up the rear first just leaving the bot in contact with the plastic Bunk Slicks toward the front of the bunks.

To me, if I am using HDPE (Bunk Slicks,) there is no need for carpet. Carpet just holds water which keeps the wooded bunks wet. That is harder on the wood. With the boat riding on the Plastic, the exposed wood can dry quickly which is good.

Anyway I have enough of the Bunk Slicks to do two trailers. Just haven't got it done yet. After I get them put on and use them for a while I will report on what I think of them.

Registered
Bill, in OkC
Well poor ole Skeeter got snake bit this afternoon. Got it on the snout about 1/2 inch behind his little black nose.

View attachment 326555

Have you ever heard the phrase "made so much noise you would have thought they were snake bit". Well I can tell you the phrase is true. I was beside the garage getting a boat cleaned up and ready to go out in the next day or so. Then there came this sudden Yelp, yelp, yelp. At first I figured he had gotten stung by a bee. He is familiar with that also and NOT very fond of it. But when I looked, he came running out of the garage. So, I call him over and could see some blood spots appearing on his snout. That was a clue. I walked into the garage and there on the floor was a bundle of wadded up fruit tree netting. It had been in a cardboard box beside the narrow entranceway. Upon looking closer, there was a snake head and about 5 inches of his body sticking out of the netting. I grabbed a garden rake and hooked the netting and tried to lift the netting and snake up. No dice. The box the netting was in had been setting on an old kitchen chair and the snake had wrapped his body around the cross member supports. I used the rake to unwrap him and then got him picked up and carried out of the garage. He was about 4 feet long. The good part is it was not a poisonous snake. I have a 1 acre pond beside the house and it has the normal number of water snakes that hang around it. And I have a barn and big wood shed so have a couple of black snakes that move around the place.

I had to put Skeeter in the house because he wanted first dibs on that snake. If it had been a black snake I would have figured out a way to cut it free but water snakes don't get free passes. I have never used one for bait but could if I wanted too now. It would have to be used soon since the wife said there was no way in (well you know) that it was going into the refrigerator. Haha, I knew not to ask twice.

The little wiggly can RIP.

Here is one of my little Black Snakes.

View attachment 326557

But all is well
Glad to hear the wiggler wasn鈥檛 poisonous.
I鈥檇 bet it will be awhile before Skeeter tries to tangle with another one.
I鈥檝e often wondered if snake would be good catfish bait.
This one shows up where I fish, quite often.
Snake Plant Reptile Scaled reptile Tree

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope he stays away from them for a while. But about an hour after he got bit, he was back out in the garage. I have a table saw setting where a car should be and when not in use I just lay the power cord across the top of the saw. About 18 inches of the cord with the plug on the end was hanging off the edge of the table. He was tiptoeing around it and growling a little. He wasn't getting very close but he wanted it known that he couldn't be bullied. Haha, I get a kick out of him.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are the ones I try to watch for. Haven't see any here but about 4 miles down the road, the hills start and there are some areas that are rocky. Copperheads are in those areas.

Sometimes they can be a little hard to see but there is a nice one in this picture.

Plant Wood Grass Groundcover Terrestrial plant

Horse-MON
The problem with the coppers is they don't like to move out of the way, know several old time house painters been bit, I've had hunting dogs bit and stung by bald face hornets , never is a good thing.

Registered
oh my, that would definitely get my attention to say the least even here in Germany where there's supposedly no poisonous snakes, anytime I'm close or in the woods I'm watching lol I did see 2 small water snakes at the bait pond last year (made me think there's gotta be a momma and daddy somewhere lol) but I haven't seen any snakes this year. When I lived at Ft Drum they said it was too cold up there for snakes, but I did see one small water snake one time walking on some rocks to fish. Non poisonous ones don't bother me as much. But the deadly kind I don't mess with. Many times I've been bank fishing and see moccasins and they are aggressive and relentless so I try to show them I value my life more than there's. Mostly Texas and Virginia. Once in Texas me and a buddy was on his little 10' boat fishing and a moccasin came right at me, needless to say he got taught a lesson. It got whacked with my 10' rod about 10 times in 3 seconds lol it hissed and made a u-turn pretty quick he learned a valuable lesson but he lived to see another day. Once in Va me and a bud were catching Bluegills and tossing them in a floating wire basket. Went to the back of the boat and a moccasin was in the boat about to climb in the basket. He got taught the same lesson his cousin in Texas learned, leave me alone and I'll leave you alone lol I've had many other encounters with moccasins but usually it's me leaving out of the area. The water snakes usually just swim away, I don't like them either but I can deal with them. sorry about the long post.
Haha, I agree Ramon. You should see the reaction when a 6 foot black snake goes slithering across the kitchen linoleum. Since it was a black snake he got off with unsupervised parole.

Registered
Steve from Mississippi
We deal with snakes all the time around here. Two years ago I had a copperhead swimming up behind the boat following the shad scent trail from the boat. I saw him coming and was ready. When his head popped over the transom he got a paddle to the head. No more snake problem. That could have been bad having a copperhead in the boat if I had not seen him. Glad Skeeter is ok!

Registered
Glad the pup is none the worse for wear, you have a kinder approach to the black snake than I do, as far as I am concerned they (all snakes) are Copperheaded-Rattle-Moccasins. Actually "experts" claim the water moccasins are the only snakes we have to worry about in my home county the rest are harmless, apparently "they" have never been standing directly behind me when I encountered a snake (any snake) unexpectedly, a guy could get trampled worse than they would in a Buffalo stamped if my path of retreat is blocked.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad the pup is none the worse for wear, you have a kinder approach to the black snake than I do, as far as I am concerned they (all snakes) are Copperheaded-Rattle-Moccasins. Actually "experts" claim the water moccasins are the only snakes we have to worry about in my home county the rest are harmless, apparently "they" have never been standing directly behind me when I encountered a snake (any snake) unexpectedly, a guy could get trampled worse than they would in a Buffalo stamped if my path of retreat is blocked.

There are a lot of folks that feel the same way J and I can't say that I blame them. But I try to be give them space when I can.

I am thinking you and the boss didn't get to take that fishing trip to Tennessee. If I remember right, the grandkids might need grandpa and grandma watching over them while the parents are at work. I was hoping you would be able to do some quality fishing time. I think you would really enjoy it. Then you would buy some property right on the water and I would have a good place to go also. haha

Registered
No Tom, we aren't going this year unless something changes. At my age you can't say "next year" with much certainty but that is what I am saying, again. We have discussed an early winter trip without the boat just to check things out but once Thanksgiving gets here we seem to be busy till Feb.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No Tom, we aren't going this year unless something changes. At my age you can't say "next year" with much certainty but that is what I am saying, again. We have discussed an early winter trip without the boat just to check things out but once Thanksgiving gets here we seem to be busy till Feb.
Well that's too bad. I had contacted several big blue cats and they were just awaiting your line to hit the water. I really understand having a lack of certainty in next year. It's amazing how young folks act like their is plenty of time for everything and we know better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts