Dog drive today

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Due to the rain, and not being able to get in the field with the tractor, we decided to go dog driving for deer. First time I hunted in about six years. Dogs jumped a big buck and one stander missed. The dogs ran that buck a long way, and then turned to come back. They were coming right for me and I stood ready to fire. About that time I saw a brown flash and thought it was a fawn and I hesitated not going to shoot a fawn. In another instant I realized that it was what I thought was a fox at a brief glance. I quickly fired and rolled it like a sack of potatoes! Turned out to be a huge female coyote. I mainly wanted to prove that I hadn't lost my touch with a firearm. Still sharp as ever! :smile2: Man, I really had a blast in the woods. I have always been a woodsman from birth, and dad instilled proper shooting and ethics in me. I guess I may start back hunting with the guys and their dogs occasionally. I'd like to get a whole deer for the freezer. Beef has been scarce around my house with the state of the economy.

BB in SC

2. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Way to go Bill,shoot all the yotes you see brother!

3. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    i know what you mean i never knew you could cook chiken and pork so many diffrant ways...but atleast we have food alot of people dont:eek:oooh:

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...thought it was a fawn and I hesitated not going to shoot a fawn..."

Why not???? :sad2:

They are the best eating of all the deer!!

Wipe the milk off their mouths, roll them in some grease and fry them up!!!

:smile2:

5. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Way to go bill, nice post!! If you do kill one, let me know. I know ways of making deer meat taste better than beef !!!!!!

6. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Deer meat with nothing done to it is way better than beef I think...

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    good shooting there Wild Bill!!!

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "....I know ways of making deer meat taste better than beef !!!!!! ...."

I'm with SCcatfishing; I think it taste better than beef anyway. I'll take medium rare deer tenderloins over a fillet mignon ANY DAY OF THE WEEK! As a matter of fact, I am preparing some backstaps from the buck in my avatar for dinner tonight....YUUUUUUM!!!!

:big_smile:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dieter, I agree with you 100% about the quality meat of a tender fawn. Still couldn't bring myself to shoot a baby unless I was mighty hungry.

<good shooting there Wild Bill!!! >

Daddy always raised hell when I missed, so I kinda got used to hitting what I shoot at. :wink: In this case, it wasn't any amazing feat or fantastic shot. A running "dog" 20 yards away shot at with a 3 inch magnum 00 buckshot was a done deal. Glad it was a female 'yote.

Bil in SC

10. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I like deer and buffalo ! but for me nothing beats a good t- bone steak!:big_smile: I just wish i could afford to eat beef.:embarassed:

11. festus

festus New Member

Good job, Bill, at least you ridded the neighborhood of a pesky coyote.

12. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    Anyone tried coyote???? lol:wink: Don't tell me it taste like chicken..... I will fill my freezer with yote and try to tell the ole lady it's chicken, then the money she spends on all that chicken she can fill my boat up every two weeks.:smile2:

13. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i thought you were at least using a rifle...:wink: still a good shot i think ill let you keep the lable for a while..haha

14. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    I wish we could run dogs or bait like the rest of the state. Not sure why we don't get to make it easy like all the lower state guys.:confused2:

15. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Not sure why we don't get to make it easy like all the lower state guys..."

Actually, I believe research has shown hunters in the non-baiting areas kill more deer per day hunted than in areas where baiting is legal. Check out the SCDNR Deer Report and you can confirm those numbers.

:big_smile:

16. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    way to go kill all those coyotes now only 2 million more left :smile2::smile2:

17. skiff1

skiff1 New Member

State:
    south caro
    Good shooting bill. I don't know what yall are talking about I like it all chicken, deer, fish it don't matter its all good.

18. katdoctor

katdoctor New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Good shot Bill. Way to go!!!