Does wind effect catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stinkbaitjunkie, May 15, 2006.

1. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    Does Wind effect catfishing any? I fished in two ponds that I know have a lot of cats in them and didnt even get a bite. I used worms. The only thing that was different than normal was there was some wind all day. This was weird to me.

2. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    hard to say, i've had good days with and without wind. i personaly think it has more to do with barometric pressure, and recent feeding patterns.

3. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Actually if anything I think it would help fishing. Wind bring air and food into the water. You might wana try to switch up baits when it's windy!

Josh

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    When you are fishing ponds in the wind, try to fish so that the wind is in your face. It will be hard to cast, but that is where the baitfish will be which should draw in the channels.

5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Wind will stir up the bottom, so the catfish might be feeding on something that could be found here, like crayfish, muscles, etc.

6. reel pleasure

reel pleasure New Member

State:
    New jersey
    I think wind definitely plays a role.Personally i think it would help only because i get most of my bigger fish on nasty days when there are swells on the water.Channels seem to be more active the nastier the weather.While its hard to cast and position a boat,the bite is usually a good one.Not only that but i usually catch a fish or at least start to get a bite aftyer a boat goes by on calm days.

I agree with Chubbahead,you want the wind in yer face if fishing a pond.Also agree with ssstevo and jmars,if the prewssure is dropping it should increase your odds and wind alone will stir the water and get them active.
    AT least thats my take on it

7. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know how it works on a small pond, but I believe I read this somewhere. Maybe in-fisherman about the mullinex catfish.

Basically the fishing would be best on a bank that the wind has been blowing against for days. If the wind has been blowing from the west towards the east then fishing would be best on the east bank. Reason being the wind moves the microorganisms, phtyoplankton and stuff like that that are sensitive to current, then the baitfish that feed off of them follow. Of course the cats and predators follow the baitfish. So the wind moves the low rung of the food chain to the east bank and the rest follow suit. I fish a 7 acre pond and after 3 days of high winds this seems to hold true. I also believe it has to do with pressure also.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've had really good days of fishing with high winds. It makes it harder to cast, but I think the wind muddys up the water just enough, especially when there was a clarity of 4+ ft before the wind. It probably helps to make stalking prey easier for catfish.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    My grandfather always used to say that when the wind blows out of the east they bite the least,and when it blows from the west they bite the best.Now i dont know if theres any truth to it or not but he swore by it.

10. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    pay attention to which way the wind blow. Out of east has always been bad for me. Out of the west or south west has done very well.

11. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I've caught more fish on semi windy days than on calm days, for me I have had little luck on real calm days---but as mentioned I'm sure the barometric pressure was the main influence in this.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Wind moves plankton, shad and other small bait fish eat plankton, catfish eat bait fish.

Rule #7 of catching big cats: fish where there are bait fish. If you can locate bait, then you are a lot closer to locating big fish.

This means you are probably going to have to be on the most wind driven side of the lake.

This is probably more pronounced on a small lake than a larger one because a large lake has many areas that the wind will not affect as much.

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I don't know about the wind effecting the catfishing, but it can have an effect on me at times, because I,m a line watching fishierman :sad2: -lol.

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010: