DOES WATER TEMP COUNT?

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by low desert jonathan, Oct 29, 2009.

1. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    The nights are rapidly cooling out here in the desert. High 30's low40's already, high winds are signs of winter starting to set in. How much longer will it be worth it to go for flats say over channels which are a colder water catfish? One winter warning please drive carefully especially when pulling a boat with the high winter winds through the passes and deserts nobody want's to see them flipped over at the side of the road after getting airborne through the Banning pass or somewhere else out there more remote. Thanks LDJ :wink:

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The actual prefered temp for fishing for flats ( water temps) are from 78-82 degrees. You will see some reports actually stating even higher. Flatheads locally can be caught even thru winter depending on if you are right on them per say as they like to find the deeper holes and pile up for the winter. A few guys I know caught some flatheads during February up to 50 plus pounds from a deep pocket on the Palo Verde Canal last winter they even emailed me some pictures. It can be done, however the bite is few and far in between unless you happen to come across a wintering holding area of flats.

To sum it up I would say pretty much November is the slowing down period consistantly for flatheads and it is time to move on to other fish for a more definite bite per say. Plus I can not stand being out at night during the cold months especially if it gets into the 30-40's. :smile2: Day time fishing for flats is more prefered during the winter months.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    good post Brian, i agree. good info.

4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I agree also. Water temp on the river last week was 69 degrees, way too cold for much flat activity in my opinion. Guys that fish for them now are mostly fishing in daytime and a lot of guys are going mostly for channels now. They don't seem to be as affected by colder temps altho they may not as active so the bite may be slower.

:cool2:

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yea winter time..... time to wear long underwear and sweats for pants.... good fishing weather.... campfires are nice to start off the afternoon... a little BBQ and then on the water for a spell..... that night is long.... got to get some chum into the water to bring em out.... and keep warm... even have a heater boat if ya got the room...

I have a heater for the camp area as well.... easy start and almost to much heat.... time to bring some wood in the boat....
    y'all bring some wood for the fire boys....

The winds are winds.... they are there most any time of the year.... especially in the passes.... just part of the driving.... got to be aware of them and plan on your lanes to travel in when the winds are pushing one way or the other......Now, when on the water... that is a different thing

Retired and going fishing...... anyone for Squaw lake..? Thanksgiving... weekend before and after??

Bayrunner Ray

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    yeah Ray, your right on the winds, but this time of yr is really bad. just the way it is. if i'm not out of state, see ya at squaw lake.
    gary

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    For Jonathan as well as the other fellas I know this has been generated and posted a few times however for the purpose of the thread I will post the link again of a wintering trend for flatheads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12TqEEGInhg

Now eventhough the weather out here is nowhere near what it is in the midwest and eastern waters you can still bet that in the areas like the desert and Colorado River areas when the night reaches cold at night to the 40's and other times less that the flats will become less active and more lethargic. They feed less and since they are less active and pretty much in a hibernation stage they feed less often too - which accounts to why less of them are caught during winter months and the bite is so slow. Out here in California that trend could go for a few months like Mid to late Nov thru Late or mid March or even early April depending on weather trend during that time. The last few years I been around the first week of April and caught some flats and year before or after could not buy a bite for a flat till mid April. One thing we know for sure is that April tends to be the month that they start to show in better numbers after the winter times here to at least mid month. We can consider ourselves fortunate here in Cali for that because in other states its Mid May to even June before they can even start to see any flat activity showing like in Illinois. Our wintering time zone for flats out here is only about 3-4 months and we can get back on them again. :big_smile:

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Regarding the winter time fishing at the Co river,, don't forget that the water lever in the mainchannel is much lower than usual, might make for some unexpected delays from a boating perspective..
    Last winter, I'd bounce from mainchannel to "other" waters and, had fair success..all winter. Bank fishing..

Definitely, putting up with the cold temps was the worst part of any trip during that time..
    as, I don't build fires.. or stay in a camper..Burrrrrrrr.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good point about the lower water. That can definitely be a problem. I am more of a banking guy myself however will sometimes for the ride bring a boat. Just rather use my boat locally more and to San Diego than driving across the desert with it - too much wear and tear. :wink:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele

Hey Gary what generally is the bad wind months? I heard the winds really do bad sometimes there I went once and the winds was bad while I was fishing from the bank and that was in May. I heard a few stories of the winds kicking up some major caps on the main river definitely something I want to avoid. I found some comfort in a drainage ditch once away from the wind on the canal one trip.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    right now brian. usually figure latter sep through nov at least for winds. kinda kit later this yr though.
    gary
    check your phone

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Ya gang there is some wind at the Colorado River..... The place at Brannan Island just across the road from the entrance has one of the best wind surfing areas in California... on the Sacramento.....some folks use radar on the river....GPS is a minimum....

It does get cold at the River....I seen Ice in standing water there many times back when I was younger....

I'm getting my boat heater out of the stroage shed today... going to check it out..... sure is nice to have it on in cold weather

I have fished in a small boat in wind and rain and mostly sunshine... Its all part of the sport that we love.....

From these experiences.... Thats why I have the boat that I do.... I can still trailer it to where I want to fish, and can stay comfortable in it in most conditions..... nice to have a windshield wiper....

I dont like to not go fishing because of the weather.... I look at the offshore NOAA bouys...North and South... and check the weather stations... Been doing this for years.... I use to plan for bad weather just to drive to the mountains to ski.... rain/shine/whiteouts/ just all part of the day as "Ski Patroller"..... but now I'm more of a fisherman....

The fish are there.... just in different holding patterns.... I make a "campout" out of most of my trips...... and Plan on the weather.... one way or another....

Got to expect white caps on the river.... and know what your boat can handle....

most folks need to stay on the "day lakes" and get off the water when the lake closes....

"Wear and Tear" is all part of having a fishing boat.... You have to stay ahead of everything.... and do regular maintence to stay ahead...so that you can enjoy the time that you take to do the fishing and camping..

Off the Soap Box...... Bayrunner Ray