Does Touchin The Bait With Your Hands Hurt Your Chance Of Catching Fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by upncomincatfishking, Jan 3, 2007.

CAN NOT TOUCHIN YOUR BAIT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES ON A SUCCESFUL HOOK-UP

1. YES, IT DOES HURT YOUR CHANCES.

2. NO,I DON'T THINK SO.

3. IT COULD BUT NOT SURE.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    LET ME ASK YOU GUYS A QUESTION! MY FISHIN BUDDY SEEN A SHOW ON TV WHERE THIS GUY WAS FISHIN AND HAD SAID THAT THE SCENT OFF YOUR HANDS AND SMELL OF CIGARETTES ON YOUR HANDS CAN REALLY HURT YOUR CHANCE ON CATCHIN CATFISH.ON THE SHOW HE HAD HOOOKED UP WIT A BIG BLUE CAT AND IT WENT TO THE BOTTOM AND JUST LAID THERE AND HE COULDN'T GET IT TO COME OFF THE BOTTOM. SO HE TOOK A SINKER AND SOME CIGARETTE TOBACCO AND RIGGED EM TOGETHER AND CLIPPED IT TO HIS LINE AND LET IT SLIDE DOWN TO HIS BAIT AND AS SONN AS THE CIGARETTE TOBACCO GOT TO THE FISH THAT IT CAME OFF THE BOTTOM. HE WAS SAYIN THAT CATS HATE THE SCENT OF CIGARETTE TOBACCO HASANYONE EVER HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS OR ANY INPUT ON THIS

2. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    what you can do to counteract that is to rub an onion on yer hands.

3. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    The Onion Doesn't Bother The Fish At All.

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I wash the cigarette smell off my hands with beer. I heard blue cats love Bud Light.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    It makes perfect sense that a cat would be turned off by certain scents since their primary sense is based on smell/taste.

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    The two best cat fishermen I have ever known were heavy smokers and they didn't have any problem out catching me (non-smoker).

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The only thing I know that will spook them is if you have gas on your hands. Other than that IMO the smell from being a smoker doesnt effect them.

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I would have to agree with Johnny. That gas smell will run a lot of things off.

9. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    I saw the same show, it was a 250 lb stingray that they dropped the tobacco on. The name of the show was something like "Monster Fish". They did show the world record Bluecat earlier in the show, but the tobacco trick was on a stingray in Mekong.

10. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I once smoked and fished and didn't notice any difference. If there was a difference I wish I hadn't been smoking on those days.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I firmly bilieve in that theory about scents on your hands. I know for a fact that bug spray and sun screen can really turn them off also.

12. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    VERY INTERESTING question... i wouldnt think that too many smells would turn off a catfish.. but those big cats... esp 50+ lbs are pretty smart and if they go smelling something "fishie" i doubt they will bite... but i am not a smoker and i have fished with many that do.. and them outfish me.. lol so i cant really say either way..

13. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Wash your hands in Sonnies Super Sticky dip bait and then you should have good smellin catfish hands. NO really wash with Ivory soap as it will help mask the odors and oils on your hands.

14. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Ther were more than a few old timers that added a little Nectar of Red Man to their bait when fishing. They caught more fish than I did back then so In my opinion I don't think it hurt the fishing.

15. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah what a nonsmoker finds repulsive turns fish on , i smoke and catch plenty infact every one that i fish with smokes and we all catch fish .

16. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    never ran any fish off that me and my buddies caught.usually at night when we're out we smoked way too many cigarettes.

17. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    It makes sense. You could always just rub shad guts and blood all over your hands.

18. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I had an uncle who spit tobacco juice on every thing he used for bait.I never knew if it helped or hurt. He caught as many fish as the rest of us.He even spit on minnows when we were crappie fishing.Using stink or cut bait might make a difference on channels or blues but I don't think it makes much difference.JMO Allen

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think some scents will spook fish but, I don't think tobbacco is one of them. Motor oil or gasoline are the two that come to mind..There is a simple sollution.... Wear gloves when baiting up and it should stop any enterfearance.

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont see how would touching ur bait, will hurt ur chances of catching a fish. because u got to touch the bait to put it on the hook.