Does this happen alot with flathead catfish??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by crazyKat, Nov 5, 2007.

1. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have caught 3 flats in the past couple weeks. nothing big 4 pounds average. but it was funny because i got a few small hits on the pole then nothing. pole never moved so 15 minutes or so i go to check my bait and had a flathead on the line??? i never seen a fish do that just wondering if that was normal. 2 of the 3 swallowed the bait. i figure they just ate it and layed on the bottom not moving. is that normal?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Yes, that is normal, especially with the smaller flatheads. Vern

3. LBCatter

LBCatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    can you catch flats on cut bait? I figured with winter comin up i might be able to get a lazy one?

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive had that a lot in the past and it almost always is a flathead smaller than 5lbs. So,yes,I would say it is normal.

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I notice the littler one doing that so i would say it is normal but the bigger one will give you a better steady run.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    another yes from me, sometimes you wont hear a thing. when you reel up to recast ,fish on. lol had fish up to 20#s do this to me. ill pull the line a bit to feel for wieght before reeling in.

we get more on cutbait than live threw the year bro. like most fish they are inactive most of the time. when you put a snack in front of them they mite take it!

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Yes, you can catch flatheads on cutbait. During, the peak season I would never use cutbait but during the early spring, late fall and even winter, they will take cutbait. During this time I am usually fishing for blues or channels with cutbait and now and then, get a flathead. Also, I have had them grab the bait and sit there as well. So I agree with everyone else, it happens.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That is the way they act around here in the winter. You'll get a couple taps outta one then nothing, and the next will move off a bit. Sometimes if you just watch the rod and line you will see it "flex". The flats don't move much but We caught one this week on a 7in live bait that tapped it a little then nothing. When I moved it there was a flat on there that swallowed the hook. Then I caught one on cut shad that sprinted away a couple feet. They don't act like summer flats, any bait action could be any size fish. If you caught them from the same hole or holes, I'd keep going back. They are in those areas for the winter. Good luck. Just remember that you can seriously damage a river section if you keep all the flats in there. They come from far and wide to spend the winter in just a couple prime spots.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Happens alot with the smaller ones the bigger ones like to let you know there there.

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    seen a lot of big ones do that too. if they are inctive they will do this sometimes, they will move up to the bait (or you drop it right on their head), suck it in, and just sit there and digest it.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I've had that happen during cold water periods like in the spring and fall. It happens to me using cut bait. I would check my bait and fish on!

Dinkbuster1,

I like your avatar! The flatheads must not have been biting that night.

12. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Jody dont feel like the "lone ranger" on that. RiverScum & I experience that alot. More so in the colder weather. When water temps are below 50. They just suck it in & just sit there. I always finger my line before just reeling in. :cool2:

13. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have had this happen quite a few times. Especially when using cut bait.

You most certainly can catch em on cut bait. I have to say that the best in my opinion is live bait but I have been in situations where the bluegill were scarce and we could not get alot for bait so we had to resort to cutting what we caught. I think that the best part to use is the head...step on it a little to the oils flowing.

14. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Water temp has a lot to do with it, both extreme cold or heat. I've also had this happen but they typically end up being 5lbs or less.

J

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes this is normal. I've also noted that a stiff rod will sometimes mask the hits. You might consider a lighter action rod.

16. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Very normal with a flattie. I caught a few over 40# this year and they all did what you were talking about. It might have been because we were going into fall weather. But I had some over the summer that tried to break my pole and take it with them. If you catfish a lot sometimes you can tell the difference between a blue bite and a flathead bite. A flathead will normally if using a live bluegill for instance do stead tugs and then they will take it. For example if you have a lively bluegill on your pole your pole will have good movement on it from the bluegill swimming around. when that flathead hits you will usually see a real steady tug sometimes they will usually do this a few times while their positioning the bait or getting ready to take it and then you will see your pole start to bend at a good rate thats when I set the hook on them once it gets the bend I like there mine. But I have just this past year started using fresh cut skipjack for flats. To my surprise they love them in the Ohio River. I feel they hit it differently then they do live bait but not all the time. When using skipjack they were either hitting it very slowly or just sitting with it or they would just swim off with it with that very steady bending of pole sometimes more aggressive then other times. Where as a blue will usually strike hard. I heard something that makes alot of sense to me. A blue cat with the deep fork in its tail is made for speed and the flatheads flat tail is made for power for ambushing live bait. I personaly feel a flathead of the same size as a blue fights harder that a blue but thats my personal opinion and a lot of people would probably really disagree with me on that one but Im a flathead fisherman there my favorite.

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I agree Jason, flatheads kick butt. Blues are easier to find and catch, thats why more people catch them. All flatheads will bite like that at times.

18. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Hey slimcat there aint nothing like catching a big Flattie it always makes my day when I catch a big one.