does the rain help?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishangler, Aug 28, 2008.

1. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    well with the rain we are having does anybody think the cats will start biting again? Also does the moon have anything to do with the way the cats bite. and my last ? is when you are fishing for cats how do you fish for just one type of cat like the flatheads i mean when you throw out a peice of bait it depends on what kind of cat finds it right?

2. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think the rain will help turn on the bite, and yes the moon does effect the fishing. In shot to pic what species of cat you want to catch you decide what bait that type prefers, and what kind of area they hold up in. You will catch some of other species, but for the most part you can at least catch what you are after for the majority of the time if you do your homework about that species and gear towards just that type.

3. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    thanks for the fast response and how does the moon effect the bite when it is a full moon is it better to fish or when it is dark?

4. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    and do the cats bite better when it is raining or when it just stopped raining?

5. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you are after flatheads in the full moon you have to go for shadows, or any other kind of dark area. You also should be fishing structure. If you are after blues or channels, the light doesn't really slow them down at all, so you just go where you know they tend to be. On a dark moon you will find flats all over the place, I think just because they know they can ambush what they are after at any place when it is that dark.

6. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The rain can either turn them on or off depending on how much it stirs up the water. Other than that I am not sure which would be better.

7. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    those are some nice cats you got man i have been looking for somthing like that this year. this biggest i have cought is a 26 pound blue by dutch gap

8. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Keep working at it and the bigger ones will come, 26 lbs is no chump of a fish either.

9. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    yeah but i am waiting for the bite i will always remember and i mean 26 aint bad but i would love to get a 40+ i always hear about

10. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, the bigger they are the more addictive they are to catch.

11. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    well good luck and hope to see more of those big one this year

12. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
  13. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    No problem man, good luck and let me know if you catch some big ones.

14. awmurray2

awmurray2 New Member

State:
    Oxford, North Carolina
    Crankbait's right on the money man. Some of my worst nights fishing for flatheads have been when there was a full moon out. Also, two other great times for catfish of any kind are right before and right after a thunderstorm (probably during too but I ain't that brave or stupid... yet haha.) Good Luck Man !

15. catfishangler

catfishangler New Member

State:
    virginia
    well i just got back and it was still raining and i only cought 3 blues biggest about 11 pounds and 2 around 4-6 pounds but i gues the fish do bite a little during rain

16. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    you were there when I pulled in that 37#er, it's not the one's you've heard about...it's the ones you've seen come to the boat!:tounge_out: love ya son!

17. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    keep fishin bro! you will figure it out!