Does the moon phases affect catsfish?

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by TJD, Sep 30, 2009.

1. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello, Im new to this great place, but I not new to bank fishing. This old dog is learning from you All. Thanks

Here is my question; Has anyone noticed if or how cats are affected by the changing of the moon? The best bank fisherman I ever met planned his fishing trips by the different moon phases.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I don't really pay that much attention to the moon myself but I believe the night bite is not as good with a full moon. Welcome to the BOC.

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I base my fishing off of the moon phase, I'm to dumb to follow it:embarassed: I caught them during full moons and no moon, but I'm sure there's somebody that knows a lot more than me that will give you a better answer

4. Just_a_feller

Just_a_feller New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Catfish eat 24-7, regardless of the moon phase. If near the eat coast they bite better on High Tide...Full moon is best for trot lines and bush hooks, ( you can see where your going)..I'm not a pro , but I stayed at Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    LOL Welcome to the BOC RC.

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I base most of my fishing on the moon phase. The brighter the moon, the less fish I'm expecting.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    this year is the first tiem i have ever had any luck ona full moona nd it was the night after i posted how terrible fishing the full moon was...it wont keep me from fishing but until the last time i had had absolutly no luck at all..

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full moon bites have been a huge hit and miss with me.
    I was always told, "Full moons provide less fish, but bigger bites".
    Apparently the extra light keeps the smaller boys away.
    Seems far-fetched, and it hasn't been proven to me yet, but hey.

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if you read all the pros will tell you, that there is a direct correlation between the moon phase and the fishing. i personally dont remember what the correlation is because i dont have the luxury of being that picky about when i fish. if i can go fishing i do and the moon phase doesnt stop me.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I don,t pay no nevermind to the moon.I get out whenever I can.Big fish gotta feed,moon or no moon.IMO:wink:

11. catman79

catman79 New Member

State:
    iowa
    i havent caught a fish during full moon i base all of my fishing on the moon,my best fishing is the first night after the full moon phase.just my expierence though

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Welcome to the BOC:big_smile: I fish when I can, so fullmoon or not, I fish either way. :wink:

13. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I am not so sure if the moon affects the bite per se, but in tidal brackish waters it will definitely affect where the bite will occur. Fact: the moon Phase affects the tides. Fact: Tidal influence has an effect on bait and baitfish movements. So with that being said, we all know that there are more factors than just the moon phase for the bite. Just fish whenever you can and have fun doing it regardless of what the moon phase is on any particular day. (Don't out-think yourself and then not go fishing at all). :wink:

Ray

14. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I don't care about the moon. I fish when I can so I don't stay home because of the moon. I caught fish on all moon phases.

15. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i am with you guys about fish when i can where i can moon or not. its fishing never the less. but i have caught fish in all phases. sometimes i think its timing ya know before or after the moon shows its self i dont know i aint no scientist or pro but i will fish no matter the situation

16. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    it is a factor in the whole scheme of it all, without a doubt. barometrics, water temp, time of year, wind direct, current,nocurrent. on and on it goes. they all play a factor.

17. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Before I was into catfishing, I believed that the full moon was better for catching panfish and bass. Some fishing charts in magazines tend to lean that direction, showing better fishing days around the full moon. I can see how the full moon would alter catfishing at night, but almost all of my fishing is done during the day, and I haven't noticed any difference at all in the channel cat bite due to the moon phase. I have no evidence to back this up besides my personal experiences, and I now think those charts in the magazines are not accurate. Basically I fish when I can, I don't pay attention to the moon at all anymore. Wind, on the other hand, can change my mind when fishing from the bank. Extremely windy days make it hard for me to cast and blow my line around so much that I can't pick up the bites right away.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I keep an eye on the barmeter more than anything, but most of my big flatheads have come a few days before or after a full moon, in the daytime.

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've only caught 1 good fish during a full moon and I normally fish every new and full moon. On lakes the moon will affect the bait and their spawn so my bait catching is good but the cats don't seem to think so.

I too watch pressure like a hawk....its my main factor in how I'm gonna fish.

20. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is the reason I asked. Up untill this conversation I have never heard it discussed by any REAL GOOD cat fishermen...

The best cat fisherman that I have ever met was an old guy, 35 years ago. The summer that I met him he had caught 150 pounds of catfish by June. One was a 43-pound Flathead. Not bad for a guy who only used Zebco 33s. They had metal frames back then. I never knew how he landed that big Flathead. All he would ever say was,”It was a long fight.” He was convinced that light of the moon was a TURN-OFF to cats. As the moon was setting he would be setting up to fish. When the moon was full he planned to be fishing at first light the next day. In fact it was his favorite time to fish.

To summarize his method if the moon was shining at night he fished in the daytime. When the moon could be seen in the daytime he fished at night. I have tried it and cannot say he is wrong.

Like several of you guys have said, I fish when I have the time. However my biggest catches have come when my time matched the moon phase. I have noticed that rising water no matter if it is from power generation or rain fall has a greater affect on cats than the moon.

Thanks for your answers

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009