Does splashing the water help?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by oahegw, Jul 20, 2009.

1. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    Splashing the water in an ice spearing hole often draws in Northern pike. What does it do for catfish? I've noticed that I can catch a jumping, splashing channel and re-bait and catch one or two more pronto. Is it a feeding frenzy responce?

What say you?? :eek:oooh:

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I would think it was a group of channels roaming together however with the method you are using I am not really familiar with.

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I personally stay in stealth mode. Its crossed my mind, but havent tried it. Good question.

4. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    There is that thing called the catfish clonk that is suposed to work, and the other night on river monsters he was "clonking" and the cats started showing up???? So it may be a feasible method. I tried once with a toilet plunger, it does make a very unique "injured fish" sound and I did catch a cat right after, but I can't say that is what brought it in.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    don't know!! interesting though!!

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    theres been debate over the clonking and splashing around and all that.i prefer to play it safe a stay quiet,i dont want to ruin my fishing because of some bad info.or look like a moron splashing around the water or banging on a boat if it dont work lol.

7. Angler Ace

Angler Ace New Member

State:
    Pleasant Hill,
    I have watched Comorants splash the water with both their wings before they dive for fish, and often wondered what was going on. I aso watched a person throw hands full of gravel upon the water to lure fish. It made the sound that the pellets make when they feed fish at Hatcherys. It could turn on the bite. Weather it works or not, It's not my style. But I not going to say it does or does not work.

8. oahegw

oahegw Member

State:
    So. Dakota
    I forgot to mention in my original post about a friend I had years ago that scuba dived and speared fish in our large Lake Oahe here in So. Dakota. He told me that he could tap two small rocks together and draw in walleyes.

Splashing and such doings are not for me, but it is interesting to hear about. Thanks for all your good replies. :big_smile:

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I do the same brother:wink:

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've mentioned this before..Catfish have superb hearing and as a predator they use it quite extensively..They have a series of bones called the weberian apparatus which helps them hear even better than other fish..This is what klonkers take advantage of..There is also the lateral line which picks up low frequency sounds or vibrations which cannot be picked up by there ear..Since they are predators yes I do believe noises will attract cats..The key though is to make the noise natural..If I'm using a cork I will jerk it every once in a while to give a little splash..

11. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I believe the thrashing of fish in the water helps. When bait fishing for striper or channel we often keep a fish on the surface thrashing both the top and just under the surface. I believe the other fish pick of the signal of other fish feeding.

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ive been thinking about but putting a greenie under a ballon and no weight as shallow as possible to let it spalsh around and draw attention. I dont know if it will do anything but the way the been slamming them on a kat bobber 3' deep its worth a try on one pole. I heard another brother talking about take his line and clothspin it to a over hanging branch and when the cat hits it, it will jus come of the clothspin. If I have any results tomorrow I will reply back.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That works Brent, only I use a cane pole instead of a branch. I saw it on infisheman once. Find an open bank spot with a tree close to the water tie your cane pole to the tree with your line in the clothes pin. run it out and then move down the bank with your rod a good distance and put it in the holder. :wink:

14. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Q. How do you catch a unique catfish?

A. U neek up on it.

15. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    This has got to be one of the best "CLONK" commercials I've ever seen. LOL!

16. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.

I have also heard the gravel trick works well with stocked channels. My buddy said a guy at an urban lake was doing this and catching fish.

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How do you catch a tame one??? The tame way silly! Another effective method of attracting catfish is to shine em'. An acient indian trick. Use a flashlight and shine the water in a circular pattern. They particularily like figure 8's..:smile2:

18. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
  19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Most probably does work to some degree. However, if I have to sit there "working" a fish call, it kinda takes the relaxation out of it. The guy in the video was trying to get fish up off the bottom. Why not just fish for them on the bottom? I don't know, it seems like the only winner is Clonk INC. I'm sure they laugh all the way to the bank.

Bill in SC

20. Very interesting thread here. Gary, I like that info on the Walleye rock-knocking thing, that's awesome!:wink:

I always wondered about running a pump to spray water out side the boat to imitate rain noise/vibration. I always thought fishing was better in the rain, seems like they use it like cover and aren't as spooked and get a little active. I may experiment with this red-neck philosphy next year.:big_smile: