does size really matter?...

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kyboytimbo, Jul 21, 2008.

1. kyboytimbo

kyboytimbo New Member

State:
    Kentucky,Louisville
    just curious is there much of a difference from 7'6 to 7'10 on a 1 piece pole?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There is a big difference in these poles if you are fishing out of a boat. I prefer to keep my rods 7 foot or less

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i guess it depends on the blank of the rod. you could have a 7'6" cat rod & a 7'10" crappe rod or reversed or you can have two 7'6" rods that one wont move when you bend it and the other will touch the ground. but 4" trimmed off the same blank to make the same rod your probally not gonna notice a whole lot.

4. kyboytimbo

kyboytimbo New Member

State:
    Kentucky,Louisville
    the scenario is i ordered two quantum big cats, being the 7'6 is like 20 bucks cheaper i ordered it. I didnt know how much of a difference it would be between the two...

5. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Well I will state the obvious. 4 inches would be the difference. :smile2::smile2::smile2: :0a33: I couldn't resist. I would of done the same on the two rods. Since they are from the same manufacturer. I don't see that much difference for the price.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Did your wife log into your account again Josh. :wink::smile2::0a33::0a13:

7. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Har de har har

8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    This reminds me of an old, inappropriate joke!:smile2:

9. catchandfillet

catchandfillet New Member

State:
    mo
    cant wait to bring this up next time in the boat too funny guys :smile2::smile2:

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yes your going to tell the difference right away. If it's the same blank and you trim it 4 inches from the bottom your going to get a lighter action rod. If you trim it 4 inches from the top you are going to get a heavier action rod. The whole dynamics of a rod is around how long it is. A perfect example of this is catfish safari rods. The flathead rod is the 8 foot model. Now the lake rod is the same rod blank only 6 inches trimmed off the bottom. The river rod is 6 inches trimmed from the top. Now it's a 6 inch different but it's the same principle non the less. Now the real difference lies on what the rods are made out of and what action they are rated at. For boat fishing I like a 7.6 to 8 foot rod. This gives you some leverage and will also let you fight the fish at the boat better encase it wants to make a surge and you got your drag locked down. The rod will allow you some give. It's also short enough that the fish is not 10 feet from the boat if you are using a surf rod. :cool2:

11. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Agreed, also you will notice even a 4 inch longer rod will give you considerably more distance on the cast

12. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I broke the end off one of my 6ft ul rods a while back. It's about 6-7 inches shorter now. I put a new tip on the end and it's like a completely different rod. Feels wierd to use it even. I keep catching fish on it though.

I also broke about 2-3 inches off one of my 7ft ml bass rods. I put a new tip on it too but didn't notice a big difference. This one was graphite the other was fiberglass.

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    josh this is more like the point i was getting at, thats why i said probally and whole lot. the more you remove the bigger the difference. I wish i had all the safari rods to so i can see what you see, shoot id like to trade most of my rods in for safari's. that way i could have different rods for different apps with the same safari action (3 of each would be grrreat). instead of different makes and models.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Like my father before me,for 43 years my tackle box has had a assortment of replacement tips in various sizes from the tiniest to very large.They do come in handy every now and then for me,friends and completely strangers while on the water.They have saved many a day and even weeks when on vacation.I immediately replace the used ones at the first opportunity so as to have one next time.

(All else being the same),I found slow action rods to be affected the least and fast action the most with broken tips.The amount lost decides how much affect on the individual rod.

It can actually improve or completely ruin the rod for the type of fishing you do.With a different reel and line,a ruined one can often be made into a great rod for heavier fishing or bait use.Many a salvaged rod has turned into a much loved and treasured rod over the years.

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee