Does size matter?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by mte, Sep 8, 2009.

1. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    What would you rather catch in an evening;
    a half a dozen 5-10lb flatheads or 1 20lb plus kitty?

2. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I dont fish for flats yet due to the fact that Im chasing the Octoraro lake record channel. But when I fish I use MASSIVE BAITS I am trying for a monster. I would rather catch one monster that puts up a 10min or more fight than catch a bunch of little ones. I plan on trying for some flats here in the near future and I plan to fish the same

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    It depends on who I am fishing with and how I have done the last few outings. I perfer getting the big one though.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

No catfish in the state of Pennsylvania will fight you for 10 minutes unless you are using very light line.

But I would rather catch 1 20+lbs flat that a bunch of small punks!:cool2:

5. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    really? what are you using 100lb test? I had a 15lb channel that fought me for more than 15mins and Im using 20lb test. You must really horse them in

6. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    but further thought on the matter 10 does seem a little long maybe 5min should have been said

7. 80 - 100 LB I believe.:cool2:

I use a lighter 30 - 50 lb, but I'm "jiggy'n-it" from a boat homie.:roll_eyes:

I think I saw Tan back'n up a tow truck to the bank and usin a 50 lb jawn striper for bait bro.:eek:oooh::smile2::smile2:

Next season I am gonna set up bigger rods, and reels ,and line/tackle.:wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2009
  8. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    did you hand line that channel in?! :wink::smile2:

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Tan uses #30-#40 mono. I am the man with the #100 Power Pro :eek:oooh::big_smile:.

10. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    no but since then Ive tightened up the drag:wink:
    smarty pants

11. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    for real? seems like overkill to me but me using 20lb test for channels seems like overkill too

12. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    It's not really overkill when you're fishing a river and consider the snags, boulders, brush piles, logs etc etc.

I had a fish snap my 50lb braid this weekend on the load up, musta got wrapped around a rock or something. Wish I had 80 or 100...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d rather hit 1 big one a night than 10 runts.I too opt for braid in either 80 or 100#.I fish around too much cover for finesse fishin.My biggest so far this summer was almost 35#,he took about 3 minutes to haul in.:wink:

14. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Sometimes Joe yes you do have to "horse" them out of the cover before they get you wrapped up. (Just an observation). That's when you need what you may think is "overkill". :wink:

Ray

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Id rather fish all night and catch a big one. I dont eat fish so I dont care about numbers, all im after is a new P.B. and spending time outdoors. Yes size does matter. :cool2:

16. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I'd personally like to catch whatever can swallow the baits I fish with. Size is really a fun time altho I must admit.

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    all my rigs are loaded with 80# braid, but my shock leader is 40# mono cause that handles the abrasion better than the braid

18. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    cats aren't line shy, so gear up heavier and horse them out of their snaggy homes. 15 minutes is a longggggggggggg time to fight a 15 pound cat.

19. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    ok just goes to show i dont know squat about flatheads