Does rainfall effect lakes like it does rivers?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by g3l33m, Aug 3, 2009.

1. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    Hey all,
    I took this last Friday off to go cat fishing in the Pecatonica River and Four Lakes Forrest Preserve and got skunked for the most part in all three places. (Went to a couple of spots on the Pec) Heck, the only thing I caught was a nice sized bass... that grabbed my worm on the bottom. Stupid bass.:angry:

The Pec is still way up though, it's even over the dam, and from what I understand that's why nothing was biting there but I'm wondering if it's worth the trip to Rock Cut or back to Four Lakes with my little boat or I have to wait till that water goes down too? Or did I just pick a crappy time of year to get gungho about cat fishing?

I was testing dip bait at all the locations I went to but when you don't get a bite on any of it, I had TJs and G&S and Secret 7 although I didn't get to that bucket yet to test it, it makes the comparison kinda wacky. I also tried using cutbait (chubbs) for the first time ever but didn't get a bite on that either. So I threw the rest of the chubbs in the freezer and will try that next time I'm out.

TIA,

Greg

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i havent noticed any change in lake fishing from rain or water levels. however i have had a couple times where i caught fish while IN the rain.

3. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    So maybe I'm just fishing in the wrong spot at Four Lakes? Or with the wrong bait? Although in talking with other fishermen out there they agreed that for some reason Four Lakes is kinda sucky this year. Maybe I'll try Rock Cut this coming weekend for the first time.

4. g3l33m

g3l33m Member

State:
    Pec, Illinois
    Also, if one local river is up does that mean they all are? Like if the Pec is up, which it is, does that mean the Kishwaukee or the Rock are up too or is it a river by river type of a deal?

5. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't know about where you are fishing - but my experience has been the more water the better the fishing - more oxygen in the water I would suppose. The lake I fish - SangChris will definitely prove this point. Also have noticed alot of differences with Sangamon river as well as ponds...:0a26:

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Fishing has been pretty sad around these parts rain or shine .

7. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    sometimes high water can play a bad roll in fishing,thats whay i fish a body of water that has a controlled levels.like a power plant,most of the time they lose water not gain it.

8. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the rivers alot more than I do the lakes (for catfish). When the river is "on the rise" is the best time to fish (close to the banks). When the river is falling,it's about the slowest fishing/to no fish being caught. That being said once the river settles in,it's almost allways good fishing (in the deeper holes in the river) even if the river levels are low. Ron

9. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Greg,

I'm with you fishing around here should be great, 3 rivers, lots of lakes, been here 3yrs. And have only seen one flathead caught and that was at rockton by the power plant. But the rock is not very deep and the deep hole is always full of people and I don't have a boat yet so I can't get to all the good spots. Have you tried Levings Lake yet?

Well if I find them I will let you know if you find them let me know.

Thanks

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the fishing is slow everywhere it seems, its bad where im at down here too. as for the rain effecting the lake, the water level will be effected some, but whether or not you notice it could be another question. that would def depend on the size of the lake and the amount of rain. The pressure system that is associated with rain and all weather patterns most definitely will effect the fishing. hopefully in there you will find your answer.