does rain affect the bite?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigfish08, Jun 4, 2009.

1. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ive noticed that channels often turn on after a good rain. has anyone noticed if flatheads in rivers turn on after a good rain? for me its been different every time, sometimes they turn on and sometimes they shut down... also has anyone noticed if rain turns the big fish on?

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    A good rain that makes the river rise can be some of the best fishing. Flooded rivers bring in more food. I target flatheads close to the bank and in edy's. Flooded feeder creeks are good also. My last PB was caught when the river was almost out of it's banks.

3. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ditto brother! If the river is rising, you can bet that i'm out there!:wink:

4. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If it's raining i'll either be fishing or about to fish. Most of my best fish have been in the rain or right after the rain. I fish in the lake not the river and it works for the lake too. Rain and wind may be hard to fish in, but it really turns the flatheads on. It provides get cover for large cats to move around and not get picked up by the prey fishes senses. HTH

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont do any good on flatheads during, or right before a rain, at anytime.

6. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    A fellow member and myself were out the other night and it was right before the rains came and we did ok but left when it started to pour down

7. Carl

Carl New Member

State:
    WV
    A few weeks ago me and a friend went out in the rain, at first we wasn't going to go because of the rain, I told my buddy that we have went in every other weather condition and we just as well try it in the rain. We sat in it for about 4 hrs. and was almost ready to leave when he had one grab the bait and take off running with it, he got it in and it was a little over 26 lbs. While we was weighing it mine took off and it was a little over 25 lbs. so far the rain has been better for me.

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm more concerned with why its raining. A hot summer day rain would be better than a rain caused by say a cold front coming in. I really prefer a day or two after a rain caused buy a hot or cold front. I normally fish every chance I can and there has been times we tore them up in the rain. Sometimes ya just gotta give it a shot....ya cant catch them sittin on the couch ; )

-Jim-

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Ive always had great luck in the rain..except when i was about 14 and got my foot hung in the fornt of a v hull and rolled it over trying to get out on a steep bank...that kinda sucked..but we were wet anyways lol

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

VERY GOOD ADVICE!:wink:

11. melvin7000

melvin7000 New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I mainly fish for channels, good eatin' and I have always had much better luck during or after a rain.

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think it makes them move more, but do you want to get struck by lighting i came withen 5 yards of being srtuck, its cool to see the bolt hit the ground, it flares out, but, i dont go in a downpour

13. Deerslayer29

Deerslayer29 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love to fish when the river is on the rise. I think it brings the bait back in and the big daddy's follow. Unless they are on the freakin nest....like right now!!!! DANGIT!!!!!