Does rain affect Flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Bigcat1, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Bigcat1

Bigcat1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Just wondering if when it rains if flatties will still bite?

2. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Some of my best flatheads have been caught during or right after the worst rain storms we have. The harder it's storming the better I like it for flatheads.

3. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    They are already wet, so the simple fact that it is raining is unimportant. The water level, how fast the water cools, how fast the water rises, how long the water stays on the rise, barametric pressure, time of day or night, and if they are hungery. What I am trying to say is there are a lot of reasons cats bite and one trigger, like rain will sometimes cause them to bite and sometimes it will turn them off. Just my opinion I am sure there will be a-lot more people posting on this subject.

4. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    i think that the higher the water the more they want to move around. i don't know am i wright? some one let me now

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Just seems that they love a rainy night.lmao

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I do pretty good when it is raining without thunder. I think the thunder makes em' spook. The rain stirs up stuff off the bottom causing them to go into a feeding frenzy!

7. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Last weekend we had our best flathead trip of the summer, right in the middle of a storm...It was kinda a stupid sitting in a poncho with lightning all around, but when they're biting how do you leave?:big_smile:

8. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    after its been raining steady A few hours go out there & you can catch some big ones

9. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I agree completely caught my largest flattie ever right in the middle of a storm, but bite turns right off if it starts to thunder dont know why at least that is the way it has been for me :tounge_out:

10. Bigcat1

Bigcat1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks for all the info guys i appreciate it

11. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Some fishermen wont fish if its raining, They say that fish all go to the bottom and dont bite because of the storm. You know what i tell them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Cats are allready on the bottom..........I,ve got cats before,during and after storms. Now dont get me wrounge during some really bad storms i have lefted my poles and RAN for the TRUCK....LOL

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I believe that weather changes of any kind will have some effect on all fish. There are so many variables that you have to consider, that it can get confusing at times, LOL!!!

13. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    This is very true. There is a lot of fact and fiction out there as to when they will or will not bite and its hard to tell the difference so I just go fishing whenever I get the chance to wet a line no matter what the weather.

14. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Water levels and water temps is what is effected by the rain the cat bite is usually always good after a hard rain when the water is rising one of my favorite times to fish. You can also fish real cloudy days or even in the rain if you really want to I have in a tournament before and we still did alright.

15. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have had some of my best luck right in the middle of a rain shower, notice how I said rain SHOWER....I have had little to no success during or after a Thunderstorm! I would imagine the front is what made them bite good! We caught 18 flatheads in about 5 hours during the rain! Nothing big, but they were all in between 2 and 7 #s, That was my best day on the missouri river as far as #s go! I don't fish for flatheads too much anymore, I have started hitting the Big Ole Blues! Every once in awhile I get an ich to feel the Flatheads bite though! They are pretty fun!

16. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee

I agree, anytime I am able to get out is a good time to go fishing. :smile2:

17. BiGgAmE

BiGgAmE New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Some of the best fishing we have had is when the river level is very high and muddy (post rain), it seems that the rising water levels either turns the fish on or puts them in spots easier find (slack water)

18. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Rain is good,but if the thunder starts clapping, might as well head for the house cause the fish are gonna get lock jaw.

19. Big Cat Crazy

Big Cat Crazy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    one of the best nights I have ever had catching flatheads was during and right after a hard rain/thunderstorm. We hadnt had any luck to speak of for 2 days of rod and bank poling, but we had a shower move in and it rained like nobodys buisness for about 45 minutes.We pulled to the bank and tossed out poles mainly to get out of the storm, and fished for about an hour. We caught 5 fish all but one was a flat from 6 to 18 pounds. We checked our bank poles around 3 am (abuot 1 hour and 45 min later and we had all total caught 28 fish in 6 hours and some change.20 being flats. They ranged from 4 pounds to 57.

20. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Ive allways had real good fishing when its raining