Does ornamental gardening apply here?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Bill in SC, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Having been taught from birth to garden, I've always had something growing. Several years ago, I switched gears and started farming cactus. I trade cactus with folks from all over the world and am very active on three cactus and succulent forums. I grow them for their complexity, and their beautiful blooms. Here are a few pics from the hundreds pics from the hundreds of plants that I have. :) BTW: If ornamental gardening is not appropriate for this forum, just let me know. Hope you enjoy the photos. Wish I could attach a hundred just as beautiful.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Bill,those are great pics,I have a few cacti myself. I am planning on making a cactus garden in my yard this fall,I have two claret cup cacti that are spectacular when they are in bloom.We have tons of rainbow cactus here as well as others. I like the purple prickly pear too ,but they loose the purple hue if you let them get too much water.

3. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Cool pics. Never seen cactus with flowers like that. I may have to get myself a couple. Are they hard to find?

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Richard, Echinocereus triglochidatus, AKA hedgehog cactus, AKA claret cup, is a wonderful species. I especially like the green stigma in the blooms. I have a huge cluster of Echinocereus nicholii, AKA 'golden hedehog' cactus. The blooms are not nearly as spectacular as your claret cups though. The second pic I posted is Echinocereus rigidissimus v rubispinus. The genus Echinocereus, in general, have spectacular blooms.
    Kern, Not hard to find at all. One of my favorite vendors is in Az., Miles2go.com. There are MANY online vendors, eBay, and box stores like Lowes, Home Depot etc., that sell them. I warn you though, growing them gets in your blood! I will post up some more pics soon. A few minutes ago I tried to post a couple more, and my compute shut down.
    BB in SC

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Nice looking cacti. Very unusual flowers. I purchased a cactus about 1976, that bit the dust last year. However, I was able to save 8 "babies" off it several years ago. They got their first blooms this year. My question, in all these years, going through book after book and scouring the internet, I have never been able to pin a name on these cacti. Perhaps you could help?

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    BTW: Since the pups/offsets, "babies", came from the same mother plant, you won't be able to cross pollinate successfully to make seeds from your pair.
    Bill in SC

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Wow, you not only good, your fast. LOL
    Thank you very much. I did a quick search and will do more later. On first search, I found where it said it should have 13 waves, mine has 11 to 16, depending on which plant I looked at. The picture you sent me to, did look like mine. However, when I did the search, some of the pic show a catus with a far "bushier" sets of spines.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Many species are quite variable with spine density, shape, and other factors. I am going to PM you.
    BB in SC

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I forgot, as for the 13 waves, the description says "AROUND 13 waves. That can vary too. I think I saw the link you were looking at from Desert Tropicals. On that same page that had the bushy one, there was also pics of one like yours. Once again, a somewhat variable species.
    BB in SC

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Those are pretty cool cacti ya got. My mom has cacti and other succulents. Couldnt tell ya what the are tho.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I'm not typing all that over again. Thanks Bill If I have questions I know where to come.....

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Well I'm not typing all that over again.>

Man, I hate when that happens! :confused2:

BB in SC