Does it help scaling live bait for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dano40, Mar 20, 2007.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    When fishing for flatheads with live bait does it help to scale the bait a little bit?

2. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    you dont want to scale your live bait or it wont be alive for very long. and make sure you dont put the hook threw the backbone

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've heard alot of oldtimers say to scale the bluegills on one side while fishing for flatheads. Ive tried it and I couldnt find any difference. Good Luck with your experimenting.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure about scaling, I just hook in the back and throw them out there.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have tried it a few times, not sure if it helped. One thing I will do every time is trim just a tad off the tail fin. You don't need to trim much as even a slight bit will cause the bait to send out a signal of a wounded fish.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I'VE NEVER SEEN A CHANGE IN THE BITE WHEN DOING SO, BUT MOST OF THE TIME THERE ISNT MUCH LEFT OF THE BAIT TO NOTICE.LOL

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I would so no. Your bait will die faster. Also be sure not to have a scale stuck on you hook point.

8. FISHINSANTEE

FISHINSANTEE New Member

State:
    sc
    I neve scale the bait, but I do trim the dorsal fin, mainly on white perch because it's so hard. I think it helps.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It depends on the bait I am using. If I am using live shad (or some other "delicate" bait) I won't. If I am using a hardier bait (green sunfish, bluegill, drum, carp...) I might scale part of it, but not all. Just enough to get some extra scent in the water but not enough to kill it too quickly.

10. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I never scale a live bait. I have heard of this being done before. The reasoning behind it that I was told is that the flatheads will scale the bait before they take it. I think they are full of it myself. How exactly is a flathead going to scale a bluegill that doesn't have a hook shoved into it? I really have my doubts that a bluegill is going to sit still for that.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive always heard and did what neocats said, just make sure theres not a scale on the hookpoint.

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    They say the catfish's whole body is covered with taste & scent sensors, so I figure a fish with a 10/0 hook through it will be plenty smelly for Mr Flathead.
    I also believe the vibrations of a lively, struggling bait fish count for something too, so I don't want to do anything to weaken my bait.

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Read thread,
    Flathead catfish bait - Cut Or Uncut?