Does God still speak to people?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Ace, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    A young man had been to Wednesday night Bible Study. The Pastor had shared about listening to God and obeying the Lord's voice. The young man couldn't help but wonder, "Does God still speak to people?"

After service he went out with some friends for coffee and pie and they discussed the message. Several different ones talked about how God had led them in different ways. It was about ten o'clock when the young man started driving home.

Sitting in his car, he just began to pray, "God. If you still speak to people speak to me. I will listen. I will do my best to obey." As he drove down the main street of his town, he had the strangest thought to stop and buy a gallon of milk. He shook his head and said out loud, "God is that you?" He didn't get a reply and started on toward home.

But again, the thought, buy a gallon of milk. The young man thought about Samuel and how he didn't recognize the voice of God, and how little Samuel ran to Eli. "Okay, God, in case that is you, I will buy the milk." It didn't seem like too hard a test of obedience. He could always use the milk. He stopped and purchased the gallon of milk and started off toward home. As he passed Seventh Street, he again felt the urge, "Turn down that street."

This is crazy he thought and drove on past the intersection. Again, he felt that he should turn down Seventh Street. At the next intersection, he turned back and headed down Seventh. Half jokingly, he said out loud, "Okay, God, I will".

He drove several blocks, when suddenly, he felt like he should stop. He pulled over to the curb and looked around. He was in semi-commercial area of town. It wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst of neighborhoods either. The businesses were closed and most of the houses looked dark like the people were already in bed.

Again, he sensed something, "Go and give the milk to the people in the house across the street." The young man looked at the house. It was dark and it looked like the people were either gone or they were already asleep. He started to open the door and then sat back in the car seat. "Lord, this is insane. Those people are asleep and if I wake them up, they are going to be mad and I will look stupid." Again, he felt like he should go and give the milk.

Finally, he opened the door, "Okay God, if this is you, I will go to the door and I will give them the milk. If you want me to look like a crazy person, okay. I want to be obedient. I guess that will count for something but if they don't answer right away, I am out of here. "He walked across the street and rang the bell. He could hear some noise inside. A man's voice yelled out, "Who is it? What do you want?" Then the door opened before the young man could get away. The man was standing there in his jeans and T- shirt. He looked like he just got out of bed. He had a strange look on his face and he didn't seem too happy to have some stranger standing on his doorstep.

"What is it?" The young man thrust out the gallon of milk, "Here, I brought this to you." The man took the milk and rushed down a hallway speaking loudly in Spanish. Then from down the hall came a woman carrying the milk toward the kitchen. The man was following her holding a baby. The baby was crying. The man had tears streaming down his face.

The man began speaking and half crying, "We were just praying. We had some big bills this month and we ran out of money. We didn't have any milk for our baby. I was just praying and asking God to show me how to get some milk."

His wife in the kitchen yelled out, "I ask him to send an Angel with some. Are you an Angel?" The young man reached into his wallet and pulled out all the money he had on him and put in the man's hand. He turned and walked back toward his car and the tears were streaming down his face. He knew that God still answers prayers.

:look_down:

:0010:

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    No matter how many times I read that message, I still get tears in my eyes...

Thanks Ace for sharing... Ain't GOD good?????

3. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It hit home. All I can say, sorry.

4. polecatter

polecatter Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yep.....He shore do!! :smile2:

Larry

Keep On Castin.....Cattin!

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    He most certianly does. We are often to busy, "thinking"

6. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    great post ace realy injoyd reading it..

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Yes, he does, if we are listening.

I'll return later to post a message, I didn't absorb, properly.

Take care.
    Cheryl

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It seems that some people have an extraordinary sense of hearing the voice of God. My wife is one of them; always writing notes, calling someone, visiting, or sending help at just the right times.

These people don't advertise their gift. They aren't the loud, "super-spiritual" types; no, they prefer to remain unnamed. Their rewards are truly in heaven.

The real question is: can we all arrive at the place that we possess the same gift that we, too, can hear from God?

Well, the Bible says, "Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you (James 4:8)" We all could listen a little more carefully.

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've never doubted that My Lord answers prayers.It might not be when I want it answered but he always answers.Sometimes,his answer is no,and sometimes He says yes,whatever His answer I know it's always His Will!! Thanks for sharing reps to ya!pk powell:big_smile:

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ace! Daggone it! I tried to rep ya,it won't let me! sorry man!pk:sad2:

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Not only does he talk to us,he listens.He will bless us with that most wonderful feeling of his presence.God is the most "Real" thing that I have ever known of in my whole life.peewee-williams

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think Ace already has Gods rep.No way to improve on that.It makes me feel real good,just knowing that.peewee-williams

13. guns sugar

guns sugar New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thank You for the story that lifted my heart this day... all we need to do is keep our hearts open and our spiritual ears opened for our Lord to speak to us..... God is so Good

14. FROG

FROG New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Ace I have figured out how you got the name ACE because with the post you give you are surly #1 THANKS AGAIN

15. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    What a wonderful thread! A great messege. I really enjoyed it, and rep pionts for you!

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    This post really came to me on time (or me to it..). I know that God listens to us. I have a very personal relationship with Him that includes some level of conversation every day. Some times I feel closer to him than other times. Lately I have been feeling a little distant. This always happens when I am close to deployment time. I am scheduled to delpoy in December. When ever we delpoy at the end of the year we always leave right prior ro Christmas wich makes it even harder. It's during this time that I wonder why He allows me and my family to feel the sorrow of being apart when there are others in the world who live so comfortably. Dont get me wrong, I know that I joined my Marine Corps voluntarily and, that this is part of wearing the uniform but it's still hard. I just try to rely on my faith..I read this story before. I guess that I am seeing again because God is speaking to me through you Ace:smile2: ! Thanks brother.

17. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Swampy is the only one I told the following story to:

A poplar tree saved my life from a lightning strike about a week prior to my Brother's sudden death. I had went to the store for a Mountain Dew and the storm started as I came out of the store. Within 10 min. the ditches beside the road were overflowing and when I hit the door to the house, the lightning was getting closer. Within 2 min. the power went out. I stepped to my kitchen window to check on the tall trees out back and make sure they were swaying, so they wouldn't break. About that time, lightning lit the chandelier above my head up red like Christmas tree lights. I started wondering if there was possibly a fire starting in the attic, but I didn't smell or see anything, so I opened up the door to the garage to see if it had struck the A/C there. Nope.

It was about an hour later when the storm finally stopped and moved away. I walked outside to see how many limbs were down and as I went into the side yard, I saw my neighbor's poplar tree had been struck and had sent up to 6 or 8 foot shards of wood thru the yard and even into other neighbor's yards. I was glad their dog was not in that lot, as she would have been a goner. As I wandered into their yard to get a close up view, it occurred to me that the lightning was travelling horizontal from that tree when it hit my chandelier in the kitchen.

At that moment, I wondered what the Creator's purpose was for sparing my life.

After my Brother passed away, I came to realize that He knew my Brother had a short time left and that was a sign I should have called him, and that I was spared to take care of my Mom. Now that is what I felt He was trying to tell me, call your Brother.

We were closer than the rest and we had recently had our first spat, over Mom. After that, I called another Brother to ask him to do something for Mom and was read the riot act by him. My first inclination was to call Larry and discuss it with him, but I did not.

I have posted before of how my brothers don't really do much at all for Mom and make remarks that hurt her feelings and make her nervous. At her age, she doesn't need that.

I finally stood up to them, but it didn't help, much at all, so my conclusion is if they can live with their choices, then so be it.

Oh there is more, as in alot of families, I suppose, but I try to look to the future concerning Mom, and my Brothers seem to be stuck in the past and need to learn love and forgiveness for their Mother, who is old, forgetful, says whats on her mind, which you can't take to heart and hold against her. Does this make any sense to the men here? Seems my brothers are from another planet, sometimes.........Take care. Cheryl

18. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I think he still talks to everyone but it takes more than just your ears to hear him:smile2:

19. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

I'm still trying to hear what he was trying to tell me when the following weekend, a very large limb fell in my yard from an oak, and broke one of my wooden chairs out back. The tree is located next to the one that got struck by lightning the week before.

I have not processed it yet or am too blinded by everyday life to hear it.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    YES God still talks to us and hears our prayers:big_smile: