Does Fishing Line Color matter?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by FlatGetter, Mar 6, 2006.

1. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish with the Tracer Yellow colored string. I know that cats cant see that well, but a section of river we scouted out and gonna fish this year, during low water the water is crystal clear. Would they be able to see the line?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't think it matters much, if at all. We have braided lines colored white, green, black and yellow, and I can't say that it matters. I always use a clear mono or fluorocarbon leader anyway. I've seen some people using a yellow line that looks like a rope from 200 yds or more. It must make it easy to see.

3. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I don't think it matters either. I have tried many brands and colors of line, and I think the characteristics of the line such as stretch, memory, etc... are much more important than color.

But I should add, I have never fished for catfish where the water is clear.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I dont think it matters either as far as I know catfish are'nt line shy.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I don't think it matters at all for the main line. I have been using Stren Magnaflex in yellow which is easy to see at night and I am about to purchase the solar green Berkley Big Game for the same reason. I use a clear leader so that line color is not a concern. When it comes down to it, if your night fishing line color shouldn't matter.

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I dont think it matters to the fish but it makes a difference see your line. I seem to see the green line a lot better than the clear. A dark yellow shows up good for me also.

7. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I like the red line myself,cause I can see it better. However, I just went night fishing with it and boy did it suck. I could not see my line at all. Good thing I use bells on my poles or I'd never have caught anything.
    I don't think cats care what color ya use. Heck, a t. line is small white rope ain't it ?

8. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I don't think it matters much either. Being night feeders, I dont believe that catfish rely on their eyes too much to feed. I think the worst think you can do to dissuade catfish is to spray insect repellant on your bait :0a13: But I have fished with bright fluorescent green big cat line and have done just fine. I personally like Cajun Red though.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Have you ever wandered by all the lures in Bass Pro or Academy's? They are not there t catch the fish, but to catch the fishermen. Believe it holds true about line coloring also. Fish just don't care... if so, you'd never catch a one on a nylon trotline.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Catfish don't know what fishing line is,let alone the color of it. If they did, we wouldn't catch any but the stupid ones, and that would throw CPR right out of the window! Pretty soon they would all be dumb and forget how to............well there wouldn't be any more. lol
    :grin-big:

11. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I Really Don't Think It Matters I Have Moss Green And Hi Vis Yellow Same Results