Does fermented grain really work or is it kinda like an urban myth

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Rajun_Cajun, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    umm i guess just comment and tell me if it works

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    sure it works. but it's better if you run it through two or three times:rolleyes:

3. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Last year, after the harvest of the local farms I fish just south of the grain bins ( elevators), my wifie cought a channel about 12lbs, once in the boat it spit up a large amount of corn & beans. A very large amount, all over the boat, it stands to reason that ( at least in the fall after harvest) that grain wound no dought be a wise choice. I will try it myself this year.

4. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Absolutely!!! I have had the best luck with Maize, however others I know use corn, oats, wheat, etc. I just have always had best luck with Maize.:) Works best if you bait the hole at least 12-24 hrs before fishing. Upon arrival throw out a can full which will get them in a feeding mode. Try to use the same times you bait as times you plan on fishing. I do it a lot for taking kids & family for channels. Makes for a great memory trip:) ! I will say I have never caught a big 10#+ over grain though. JMHO

Frank

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Yes it really does work, it brings in all kinds of fish not just cats. I use it for chum all the time but you have to limit how much you throw out for chum as the fish will fill themselves up on it and then it's hard to catch anything.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Fermented rice and hops always attracted me!!:grin-big:

7. hookem

hookem New Member

State:
    missouri
    you bet,try beans and wheat soaked together

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Let it turn clear, drink it and you will not give a care if you even get a bite.:) :) Yep I call that working!!;) ;)

9. augila

augila New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use soured hen scratch and it works well for channels. pour out a coffee can full every 30 min. or so

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Definitely works!:) You can even buy it already fermented in cans that say COORS,BUDWEISER,MILLER etc.I wouldn't advise applying it to the water because inebriated catfish are a disticnt hazard what with all those sharp pointy fins etc.On a more serious note check In-fisherman Magazine which has run articles on the fermented grain chumming concept before.It does work, particularly for channels and I know it was very popular in Texas when I lived there.:)