Does Fat Mean Slow???? LOL..

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by catfishrollo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Im still learning Nascar, and still consider myself a rookie fan after a couple years of watching. I have heard all the talk about the cars, the dynamics etc. But something I have never heard talked about is whether the smaller lighter driver has an advantage over the taller heavier driver. The way these cars are setup, and moving at 190 miles per hour, the slightest push can send them across the track in the wall. What does the difference in weight do? Can a driver have a car that is good, but a half a mile an hour slower due to added weight? I guess my impression is a car with a full tank of fuel will be slower than one that has 1/4 tank. So please chime in and shoot your opinions on this one. Maybe this is why Jimmy Spencer is sitting behind the talk table, and not behind the wheel?:roll_eyes: rollo

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I think that they (the lighter drivers) do not get an advantage. I was told that they add weight to make sure they are as equal as possible (dont know how true that is), if you weigh more then its your own fault LOL. Just write a note to Mikey and tell him to diet LOL

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I'd bet Mark J knows the answer to that question

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Think this should be moved to the hi intensity Walter? I would like an honest opinion? :smile2: rollo

5. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    This is what I found....

NASCAR mandates that all stock cars entering an event meet a 3,400 lb. weight (1,700 lb right side weight) requirement with fuel, oil, water and all components included. The weigh station is a steel platform onto which cars are rolled then weighed with a breakdown of the overall weight of each specific corner. However, at Talladega and Daytona ONLY, a maximum of 50% of the weight can be on the rear of the car which helps to keep the spoiler low and out of the air.
    A 200 lb. weight allowance is set for each driver. Drivers are weighed twice during the year: Once at Daytona in February and again at the July Daytona event.
    Driver WeightWeight Added150 - 159 lbs.50 lbs.160 - 169 lbs.40 lbs.170 - 179 lbs.30 lbs.180 - 189 lbs.20 lbs.190 - 199 lbs.10 lbs.200 and more0

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You done good with your research Mike.