Does chumming work for flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by cottonmouth, Apr 21, 2006.

1. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    Been hearing a lot about baiting or chumming a hole for a while now and wondering if it is worth all the trouble? If it is some tips really would be appreciated. most of the waters around here are pretty swift, so most of my fishing is done in muddy creeks

2. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yep like he said canned cat food or dog food seems to work well or if you want to try baiting take a couple cans of corn down to the creek and toss them out go back the next day and most of the time it's swarming with carp and i have also been noticing alot of small cats running around also:)

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    In general baiting should work for any cat besides flatheads. The reason being, the other cat species are much more likely to eat the stuff your baiting with. Flatheads on the other hand almost exclusivly eat live bait.

So thoeritically if you baited an area with food to attract perch, carp, crappie, sand bass etc, you could potentially attract more flatheads.

4. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    Thanks for the help guys, going camping on the lake tomorrow for a few days,so I'm gonna give it a shot.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I don't think it would work as you think it may, what the chum is going to do is attract the bait fish which will inturn attract the predatory fish, flatheads, walleye, bass, pike, gar..... so yes it may work for you, but you may not be sure of what you are gonna catch.

Aaron

TA2D