Does chumming off a dock work

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Rajun_Cajun, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well barbel, my dad, and i are going lots of places this spring/summer and i was asking my dad if chumming off the docks of clinton work cause they have deep wholes on that dock that hit 25ft. so you advice would be awsome

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I do'nt know about clinton but one of the lakes I fish I have thrown dry dogfood from the dock the day before and gone back the next morning and did pretty good. I tried this because they were not biteing around the dock and wanted to see if it would work.

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Do you all have a slip at Clinton?? I guess if you consistently chummed one of those brushpiles you would eventually get some to stick around. Deepest water I've ever chummed and had any real luck in was around 14' on a channel break, shallowest has been about 6 inches. I can think of a hundred other places I'd rather chum on Clinton than off the docks in 25' of water, but more power to ya if you decide to give it a go.

4. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I've been thinking about throwing chum near the feeder in bloomington park this summer not sure if it will work but im going to try it I know the fish work those banks at night, I did excellent there last year on several occasions. I had to wait till 2 or 3 in the morning though I caught several channels over 5lbs there I had to wait for them to move in though, thought maybe chum would help with the consistency, guess i'll have to try it and find out. I'm sort of hoping the lake floods again this year like last, I was fishing by the bloomington swim beach when it was flooded and was catching so many 1 to 3lb channels I could only use one rod, man that was fun! I took two days off work and kept catching fish until the corps started to release water.

5. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I also caught a bunch of eatters in the willows North of the beach area, your right, it was hard to fish mutiple rods at times:)

The Corp. did a mid winter draw down on Clinton and Perry which is pretty unusual. Clinton has been 2-3 feet over pool for the last 2 years and was drawn down to pool 875.5 feet. I have a feeling that they intent to keep it at that level for a while.............the corp. used to be almost anal about keeping Clinton in the 875 range. Don't know what their idea was for keeping it high for the last 2 years but it sure helped increase the shad, crappie and catfish spawning area's(and fry survival). I do know it's like learning a new lake though, hit a stump or 2 in places I haven't for a while:crying:

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have seen fish congretate around the cleaning docks in most every water. Structure would be there and bait fish often like docks. I have used lights off docks with moderate success. I would say chum will enhance things, but the depth may be a bit too deep. Cats like deep holes, but often feed in the shallower water. I guess try it some and see. I would chum several areas and see which one produced the biggest return. Have you used a fish finder in these areas? I have a boat buddy that clips onto docks. I am amazed at what will lurk around them.

7. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    It works for me, but the place I like to fish most the water is only 8 to 10 ft. deepBut if the weather gets cold, then I have to go to deeper water & chum with the stinkest bait I `ve got which is shad side. & use that for chum. The only thing about cold weather is cats are not very active, so do not get in any great hurry for them to bite. ole retired stump jumper

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We chum off our dock all the time and we feel it helps a lot. I guess I don't think the chum brings in necessarily the big catfish that want to eat the chum, but it does bring in the bluegills, crappie and shad and guess what eats those... big catfish. We can only get down to our place for a few days at a time and have about a month between visits so as soon as I get there I throw out commercial catfish food and a cracked corn and Milo mix. I do that three times a day, morning, noon and evening. By noon the first day you can see the bluegills that have gathered and by the evening you have a full blown swarm of all species around our dock. I throw out the chum and wait maybe 5 minutes and then will throw my net and always get a few shad and bluegills. After a couple days we notice a lot more big fish around the dock. We have seen large catfish, muskie, carp and bass and I do believe they are eating the bait fish that are gathered for our free food. I bought a "straight shooter" deer feeder and am going to hook that to the dock to feed automatically when we aren't there. The other thing I did was took a swimming pool noodle and put a piece of PVC pipe in the hole and made a hoop, put that in the water and put my catfish food in that so it didn't float away, worked like a charm. Neighbors have commented about how the fishing has picked up after a couple days so we know it isn't just our feelings. So, yes chumming works but you have to do it few hours/days before you go fishing.