Does Boat size matter on the Cape Fear River?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by papabear108, Feb 9, 2009.

1. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys,
    Does the size of the boat matter on the Cape Fear river? The reason I ask is pretty simple. As you can see from my avatar, not to mention the new baby, money is in short supply at my house. :smile2: LOL! Anyway, I dragged my father's old jon boat out from behind the barn the other day and I am thinking about fixin it up for me and my son to make some river runs. It is about 8 ft. long and 4ft. wide. Is that too small? If not, any advise for setting it up?

Brian:embarassed:

2. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    correction on my last. the boat is 12ft. long.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd say that's a little small. A 14ft double wide is about the smallest boat I'd recommend for running the river. You don't want to end up swimming in all that current. I'd definitely go for a 1448 model jon of some sort. They're fairly inexpensive and relatively cheap to power and make a very stable fishing platform.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hell no it isnt too small. Folks canoe down the thing all the time in alot smaller.
    Neuse river has alot of yaking and canoeing.
    Now that one I've canoed from Raleigh all the way to Cape Hatteras.
    You being in Sanford I figure you'll be going up around Buckhorn. We got a few people that fish that area with jonboats on the site.

5. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Wow, you nailed my intentions. Especially about the buckhorn area. I have heard for years about great cats coming out of there, but I have only fished it twice. We were on the bank just below the dam and although we had a few strikes, I have heard that holes further down the river hold the best fishin.

6. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the information. What you are talking about is what I am wanting to purchase in the future so I can head that way for the cats. I also want something to play in the ICW for flounder. But I would be one dead fisherman if I bought one right now because my wife would grind me into chum.

7. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I'd say that if your gonna put in at the wildlife ramp above Buckhorn even down around Fayetteville then that size is perfect. I wouldn't go any smaller in those areas. I definitely wouldn't go out and buy a bigger boat if the wife would grind you up and use you for chum. She might actually catch a trophy fish off of that. LOL
    Your in the right mind set so get it ready and get your son hooked on fishing to past on the sport.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Does Boat size matter on the Cape Fear River?

Boat size matters on any river.
    That being said your safety lies not so much in the size of your boat but rather how you behave out there. Common sense and some basic boating knowledge will go a long way in keeping you out of trouble.
    Be safe, have fun...W

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    when i lived down in nc, and i fished the cape fear down by fayetteville, i knew a guy that used a smaller boat than that. i fished just below the dam out on 87, i think it was lock and dam 3, not sure anymore. but almost every time i went out, there was this older guy and his daughter that would come out in a tiny jon boat, i think it was only 6 feet long. they never had any problems, but they also knew what they were doing being in such a small boat. with your boat size, the only thing i would suggest is to make sure you are wearing your life jacket, and so is your son, cause that river is unpredictable. make sure that the current isn't really running, had a heck of a time once, and lost 2 anchors in my 16 foot fish and ski when the current was really running, never went out with it like that again.

but yeah, that boat size should be fine, just keep safety in mind and use common sense. good example, is to not stand and move about in the boat cause it could cause it to go off balance and tip you. and if you get caught up in the current right under the dam, not even a life jacket is going to help you with the undertow current. there should be bouys out saying danger do not enter, so don't. i've seen alot of people go in those areas and barely make it back out as their boats were getting sucked towards the dam.

10. TheGrizz18

TheGrizz18 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You should be good as long as you dont go after 4 inches of rain. lol we went one time and had a floating wall of trees and logs coming right at us and it wasn't even worth the risks. We didn't even get a bite from a fish just by logs on the bottom. Just pick the times you go and you will be just fine.

11. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the safety advice. I never thought about the current near the dam so that was a shocker. Thanks guys. I guess if I am gonna use the jon boat I have you will have to keep an eye on the boat mod page. I will post there, if my wife doesn't use me for CHUM!!!!LOL:smile2::cool2:

12. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    not sure about above lock #1 but down here below lock#1 you have to worry about barges. Besides current that seems to be the biggest danger I see in a small boat as long as you stay away from the dams. I had a 13ft malibu fiberglass tri-hull with a 35hp johnson one time in there at riegelwood and I was having problems wiht the engine missing and a barge came up and I was a little concerned.

If I were you and were to try upgrade I'd keep my eye on craigslist. You can get one with a tiller 25-40 relatively cheap sometimes and you would be good in most places in the river and in the intracoastal waterway as well. I have an 18ft bassboat and I think most 16ft open jon boats have more room and are more functional unless you strictly bass fish.