Does bigger bait = bigger fish???

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CatKing13, Jul 24, 2008.

1. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So my roommate (mhbomber) and myself were discussing our fishing strategies this morning and one thing that came up was possibly using bigger baits. He claimed that bigger bait would equal bigger fish. I told him that this claim was ridiculous and our current bait size (about 1 1/2 to 2 inch pieces of eel) was fine. He couldnt really support his claim (and was none to happy with me calling him ridiculous) other than it makes somewhat logical sense, and i obviously couldnt support mine either so i thought i would get some opinions....what do yall think!?!?!?

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I support the bigger bait/bigger fish theory for the most part. If you use really big baits, then the smaller fish can't get it down and only bigger fish can eat it. When I use big baits, they will get pecked to death by smaller fish, but sometimes a big one will eventually find it and double the pole on over. That being said, I've caught some big fish on small baits also. If you really want to catch bigger fish, then I would use bigger baits. Just realize that using bigger baits will probably cut down on the numbers of fish you catch overall.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Bigger bait will equal bigger fish. Know it because my catches are proof of it. Now using a whole 10lb carp won't get you more 100 lb fish than a whole gizzard shad...but you get the point. I cut my 12-14" shad into 3 sections, sometimes two. Sometimes I fish them whole, but haven't hooked up with anything yet.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  5. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Catching bigger fish sounds promising, but catching less fish sounds.....boring we do fish 6 poles at a time so maybe going half with large bait and half with regular would be worth the effort, kinda like a science experiment.....at least that tuition money is gettin put to good use :smile2: and seeing that cat trying to eat that shad is hilarious, but it also seems to throw a wrench into the bigger bait/bigger fish philosophy....:confused2:

6. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Splash(121.5lbs) was caught on a single 3" threadfin shad.

:004:

7. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I believe it's mostly true but the truth is
    I've not caught a cat much over 10# :(.
    So what do I know..... I can tell you this.
    Last year I tossed out a bluegill head and that's not a verry large bait. I suddenly
    got a nice steady pull. I grabbed my pole and
    reared back harder than I should have and it
    felt like I snagged into a log. It did'nt
    budge what so ever. Then suddenly it started to move slowly to deeper water. I immediatly tryed
    to loosen my drag to no avail. I had pulled so
    tightly when the fish first hit that my line was bound up in my reel. He streached my 20#
    test line wich was holding verry strong until
    it snappd at the reel verry loudly.I wanted
    to cry. My point? Even not so big bait can
    hook up with a big fish.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sometimes bigger baits work other times you'll find that a smaller bait works.
    Learned this from many years of bass fishing.
    Keep a detailed fishing log book. That is the best tool any serious fisherman can have.

The right presentation is key. Dont assume that the same presentation works in every situation on any given day.
    Develope patterns.

I used to go floundering with a man that I wouldn't hesitate to say was the best flounder fisherman on the east coast.
    He never knew what he was going to fish with or how he was going to fish until he looked at the water. Some days it was live bait other days it might be a green soft plastic jig. The next day it might be a purple jig of a different size.
    The man could put 15 pound door mats in the boat consistently.
    It came from years of paying attention to detail.

Where we fish on the Neuse river the overwhelming majority of trophy sized flatheads we catch are with a 2-3" minnow. When I say trophy I am referring to flatheads 30 pounds and up.

We always start our spread with varied baits of different sizes.
    I know one pattern we developed for the upper Neuse. If it's a full moon, stay home.:smile2: Not worth the time, money, and effort.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    That's probably the best advice available.

Put a selection of baits out and pay attention to which baits are producing - large chunks, small pieces, heads, sides, whole, live, dead, whatever - the fish will tell you pretty quickly what they're hungry for.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Big Baits= Big Fish
    Small Baits = ALL Fish

Thats my saying. If you are fishing with the eels I use them alive just hook them through the lips and cut there tail about 1"-2" from the end to make them bleed. The big blues and flatheads cant resist them. Try using live bream big ones and some smaller ones. When I fish in the river I put 2 poles out with live bream, 2 with live eels, 1 with cut eel, and 1 with cut bream. As I start catching fish on 1 certain type of bait I will put 3-4 rods out with just that 1 type of bait whatever it is. So I reckon to answer your question both of you are right.:wink:

11. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree with James there..You can catch big fish with either..But to add to everyones comments, as catfish get older and bigger they tend to eat one large easy meal that will sustain them for longer periods..Chasing around little baitfish can be exhaustive...Its more the fact that a big cat will take a small bait cause its an easy meal..For example if your fishing with a little 2" live bream well its kinda hard for that little bream to dart away when he's hooked through the back on the end of a fishing line and those big cats know thats an easy meal..Catfish are opportunistic feeders..

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    You bet your sweet bippie. When fishing in the salt the first catch under a couple of pounds goes back out with a hook in it. Always good for some fun altho most of the time you just get a few minutes of exercise trying to hang on to the rod....yeee haaaa !!! cut'er loose !!!