does barge traffic effect the Catfishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Sep 18, 2009.

does the barge traffic effect the Catfishing in a river???

1. Yes, but in a positive way

2. Yes, But in a negitive way

3. No, not at all

4. Just depends on the situation

5. I dont have a clue......

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Tonight me and another BOC Brother (BigKane) were fishing down at a new fishing hole. it was a picture perfect place to catch large catfish and especially the predatory Flathead. it was right next to a decent size feeder creek that fed into a large slow flowing river. there was a deep channel the came fairly rapidly up to a sand bar that was about 10-12 feet deep and sloped up toward the bank to about 6 feet until about 20 feet out where it gradually met the bank. the feeder creek had a deeper hole in front of it where it dumped in that created what seemed to be a bowl shape that gradually met the surrounding sand bar. perfect for feeder fish to be in and the flatheads to do their thing and hunt. we fished all over the mouth of the feeder, in the deep hole, around it, then out from the edge of the deep channel, up to the top of the deeper section of the sandbar and even in the edge of the shallower section.

we figured that when the barges would tavel through that they would stir things up and possible drive some bait fish upto the flat, causing the bigger fish to fallow and hunt. however, it seemed that after, and directly before a barge would pass we would get a run, then other times it would actually do just the opposite. now we really didnt have that many runs over the evening, but we did have a lot of barge traffic.

my question is, does the barge trafic effect the fishing, if so is it possitive or negative?

sorry for the long build up to a simple question.

2. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i voted i dont have a clue or i wouldn't have posted this question on here....

3. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if a mod sees this post, i dont know how it happened but this thread was repeated two other times, please delete them and leave this one...

4. Motopro00

Motopro00 New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    good question. I wounder the same thing. I have no clue but I like it when they don't come through.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    yeah i agree...they can be rather annoying.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I sure aint no expert here this is just my .02 but I think everything plays a factor as for pos. neg I have no clue ....very good question and I dont realy know?????

7. T Man

T Man New Member

State:
    Grenada MS
    I have seen barges come by pushing big waves and fish go to biting

8. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    I voted yes, but in a positive way. I noticed when we are fishing in some of our deep holes with no barge traffic, the fish will bite at certain depths. (I think this is do to the thermalcline) When a barge comes through it breaks up and disorients the schools of baitfish. The Cats seem to go after the baitfish no matter what depth.

Sean

9. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I don't think it is a science, but when I see a barge coming I pay more attention to those rods. Have seemed to get a lot of hookups when the barges are running in the area. not always, but enough to be on my toes when they pass. I welcome the barge traffic, I don't think it has any negative effects, historically.

10. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yes it does affect the bite at least 80 percent of the time especialy when your drifting! its called a (barge bite) ive seen many guys chase barges in tournaments to try to the barge bite!

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    They have a very direct effect on fishing particularly if they run over you :smile2::big_smile:Thheory is the props stir up the baitfish and bottom causing a bite .:smile2:

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I'll tell you that I am a firm believer that, yes, bardge traffic effects the catfishing and in a good way. This is from personal experience. I have caught some really nice fish after before, during and after a bardge passes by. So for me, I get a bit excited when I hear a bardge approaching... anticipating a bite.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    They do effect it. They'll pull your line out making your clickers sing.....:roll_eyes::smile2:
    That spot you all were in has some monsters. I'd love to go back there & fish. Is the road still rough getting in there?
    Thats the place where I hooked 'Scrap Iron Jack' last year.:eek:oooh: He won that one but i'll be back.:cool2:
    As far as them affecting the bite, I think its hit or miss. Sometimes I've gotten bites when one came by & nothing others. I think it will have more of an effect on a smaller river like the Big Sandy vs. the Ohio...........I don't know, i'm just a catfisherman...:smile2:

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have found the fishing not too bad under a moored barge. Must be the cover...

15. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I vote yes in a positive way ,but that was from 1 barge passing us while fishing . WE had just set up about 10 -15 min before a barge came upriver .Just before he passed we got 1 gaftop cat an then about 4-5 min after we got a second one .That was my only chance to test the therory ,not much barge traffic around here any more

16. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    :0a27: what i was going to say... i voted yes

17. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post and others as well. I voted yes in a postive way.

18. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    I bet it is situational wether the fish are in a feeding mood or not. Once I was at a great spot in Ohio by a gravel pit and a barge moved in about 25 yrds from us and it was ideling being loaded with gravel.. We reeled our lines in when we seen it heading for shore. After about an hour I got tired of waiting for our hole back and threw a gill out in the giant prop wash that was only in about 8 feet of water. I had a flattie on before i could set the pole down and engage the clicker. I told my buddy to do the same and kerbam he had one on before I had mine in. Apparently they like the prop wash and actively seek out the fish injured by it when close to shore. We caught 6 fish within 20 minutes. It was a blast to be fishing for cats like damn fishing for sauger in such turbid water. The barge left and we only had one other run all night...Hmmm.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  19. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I voted yes in a positive way. Last night with Sheffey he got a run as a barge was approaching. Another night while fishing with mankind the same exact thing happened. Mankind hooked up on a good 'un in that event, but it got off before he got 'er in. My theory is the cat's tell themselves, "it's now or never" and take off with your bait before the barge passes over:smile2::smile2:

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Funny you say that, because I like to fish the moored barges also. Not sure if it is correct or not, but Seems there is always baitfish around them. my thinking is the baitfish are feeding on the stuff that attaches itself to the bottom of the barges, whether it's planton or other small insect like creatures. Then the theory usually comes true. find the bait, find the fish.

Not sure if there is anything to it, but it sure seems to work for me.