Does anyone use Tru-Turn hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by douglas_413, Mar 23, 2007.

1. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Does anyone use Tru-Turn hooks for catfish? If so what do you think of them?
    I have used them for bass and panfish and am quite pleased. They seam to set good and are pretty sturdy.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have used them in the past and have had great sucess! I would look foa heavier guadge stell in tru turn just in case the big Daddy or Mama comes along!JMO!:big_smile:

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I bought a box a while back, think they were 4/0 .. They are pretty thick.. They are not as sharp as the Eagle Claw Kahles I use, but a decent hook. I use them in the river at times..

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I got them from 5/0 to 8/0 and I use them a lot. I have never had one fail on me. I also used them in smaller version for bass so I am confident in using them. I like them for my thinner baits.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I usually use 4/0 for channels, I like them.

6. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Haven't caught a fish that's bent one yet....then again, I'd probably have trouble finding one that'd even bend a crappie hook...lol Anyway, I think they seem pretty thick. And as for the sharpness of the hook, I've never had a problem with that either. But, if it bothers you, there's always a chance to file one up till you're satisfied with it. Happy cat'n.

-Red

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I used them about 6 years ago and changed over to circles. The Tru-Turns tend to snag up more often when fished with a slip sinker rig on the bottom. However work very good when fished with a bobber. JMO

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I switched from Eagle Claw to TruTurns and my catch increased, but using the #2 snelled that were packaged. Good for eating size cats, but will try larger size this year...lost two nice ones last year for using too small a unit....the #2's will straighten right out with one of size. I'm still learning how to fish.
    :smile2:

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    T.T. are good hooks,1 of the 3 top brands of hooks on the market IMO. They are my 1st pick when it comes to bulegills/panfish. Here is something that may be helpful to know about T.T. hooks for use in catfishing - Before setting the hook make sure you take up all the slack in the line until you feel the fish. By having the line tight the T.T. hook will roll over "Cam Action" when you set the hook giving a better hook up rate.

10. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've only used the 4/0 hooks on bankpoles. Had 2 straighten out on me in one night, and haven't used them since. I still have a box with quite a few in it.

11. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tru Turns are good for channels under 5 pounds, but I have had them straighten out with larger cats.