Does Anyone use spinning reels for catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 27, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ok, i got a baitcaster from bass pro and i am absolutly horrible at casting it, i get it back lashed so much. i practice every day and i think ive gotten a little better. but untill i can use by baitcaster to where i wont tangle it i need a different reel i know how to use. i know how to use a spinning reel, but are they any good for catfish?

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    In a word, yes.

What size cats are you fishing for? People will need to know, so they can make some recommendations.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i use an eagle claw the beast spinning reel its not the best but it works well holds up to 40lb line.

4. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I use a pinnacle ppd80 spinning reel I actualy like the drag on a spinning reel better than I do on casting reels.

5. Denny H

Denny H New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know a lot of people who use only spinning reels, and have no problem landing large cats.

6. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i use both spinning and baitcasting. i prefer a baitcaster, but there those days i only take my spinning reels. spinning reels work great for cats. i have a few okuma corrida models with the bait runners on them. if you like to fight your fish spinning reels are the way to go you have to wear them out, on the other hand a bait caster is like a winch you just get the rod up and drag them in. bass pro has a spinning reel called the cat maxx i perosnally do not have one, but my brother-n-law has a few of them, for he cant use a bait caster either, he wears them out and trades thme for new ones, hes caught some nice 60lbs on them as well, and for around 40 bucks thats a good bargain but they not have the bait runners on them. but they are a good reel, and backed by bass pros warranty. but on the other hand practice and practice with that bait caster you will get it. oh and another thing what type of line are you using, keep in mind the cheaper mono line on the market has a lot of memory and is junk, put some good quality line like berkley big game or some ande, if you are not allready using it, and you will see some improvment instantly in your casting, if you are using the cheaper line. hope this helps and dont give up on that baitcaster.

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I used spinning reels for the first 25 years of my life until discovering baitcasters 5 years ago. My father and grandfather used nothing but spinning and spincasting reels. I still use an old Shakespeare spinning reel with 10# test when going after small channels.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Yes they are good a spinng real is just as good as a bait caster its what you have more confidence is the best.For some one else It may Be A baitcaster Or Even a closed face 308 or 388 they will all catch Big Fish:0a18: and all are part of catfishing

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I been using spinning reels all of my life for catfish until the last 3 years and I switched to baitcasters. Spinning reels will work especially the baitrunners like the shimano and okumas. I have landed blues up to 48 pounds on spinning reels. Diawa has a new baitrunner as well that is suppose to be better then the okuma and shimano. There are sometimes that I may still use a spinning baitrunner like when the bite is finicky and I would rather leave my bail open, or let the fish run with less tension for the smaller grade of cats like the channel. But on the over bite for flatheads and blues, I prefer my baitcasters.

10. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: with B.H. on this,

All of my Fishing Reels are Spinning Reels, but don't get me wrong, for "Power" Baitcasters are the way to go.
    I have Baitrunner (Shimano #6500) , and I fish with it all of the time.

I say if you have a baitrunner, "and you know what you are doing out there", you can bring in some nice size fish with it.
    :confident:

:0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Spinning reels are great for catfish. A friend just recently caught a 31 lb flathead on a light action spinning rig. Took him a while to get the fish landed, but he did it. The reel cost about $15.

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I like the Shimano baitrunner because of the baitrunner "extra drag" at the back. You set the baitrunner part as light as you need it, and then when it comes to cranking it switches to the main drag which is excellant. I use both baitrunner and level winds... With the level wind, sometimes the free spool with clicker on is not enough resistance... so I have to mess with the main drag for "line out mode" and then as I get ready to set the hook, I must then adjust the drag for fighting the fish... Pain in the butt... I have seen folks fishing for tuna with the spinning gear, they just don't have the cranking ability that the level winds have... If you are awlkward with the casting reel, I'd say get the Bait runner from Shimano 6500 or 4500. I have 1-4500, 2-3500 and Abu Garcia's which I mainly use for my boat rods, but my Garcia's are left hand crank just like my spinning reels.
    Good luck with your choices.

bayrunner ray

13. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Spinning reels are ok for cats of all sizes. Just like bait casters, they come in different sizes aand qualities depending on what size fish you are after.

14. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
  15. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Has anybody caught anything big on the 6500 baitrunners. I am interested in these baitrunners as long as they will handle cats up to 100lbs. You never know when the big one will come biting.LOL

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't like to use my fishing time up untangeling the baitcaster so I just use spinning. I have never landed what i would call a beast but if the reel is big enough and the line is powerful enough I don't know why it couldn't be done. I guess if it can't then the fish wasn't intended for me to land!:smile2:

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use both spinning and baitcasters, but my Abu 6000 is my favor.

18. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
  19. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    It's all I use. I cant work a baitcaster. even on a party boat my uncle took us on in long island, I thought I was going to be tossed over board cause of all the birds nests I made that day.

20. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have caught catfish on my 4500's in the high 50lb range and the same with the 6500. These are very powerful reels, get one and try it I promise you wont be disappointed. These reels are all I use for catfish and I catch a lot of them. These reels are mainly built for saltwater fishing, so they are built to last and I know guys down here on the coast that catch 60lb king mackerel with the 4500 reels so yes to answer your question, the 6500B will catch any catfish that north america has to offer. I am also sure it will stand up to a wells catfish also. I have used these reels for 3 years and haven't had even one problem with them. I have these reels on Tsunami MH 7' boat rods, this combo is awesome. They are the best boat rods I have ever seen, and from what I hear all the rods they make are outstanding. Well good luck in your decision.